Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Forgot to Sanitize!

More details on what I’m working on can be seen here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=120541

Last weekend, I decided to save some yeast for the first time. I’m hoping to use it in a new batch this coming weekend. Problem is, I think I forgot to sanitize the jar I saved the yeast in. I know I cleaned it with PBW, but I don’t remember hitting it with Starsan. What do you think? Should I be fine, or should I dump the yeast slurry and buy new?

For years (before I learned about Starsan), I got by using only a no-rinse cleanser on my fermentation and bottling equipment. Is PBW as good as EZClean?

Prolly be fine. RDWHAHB!

Agreed, but why take the chance? Dump it and buy new yeast.

PBW, Oxyclean, Ezclean are all cleaners, not for sanitizing.
Starsan is for sanitizing.

I personally would not risk it. But that may just be me.

For me it is hard to find time to brew as it is (3 kids, crazy schedule as it is etc.) I would hate to take all that time on a batch and find out it was wasted when all I had to do was play it safe and get new yeast. Having said that, I have a home brew supply very close to home so it is not that big of deal to swing by and grab new yeast if I needed to.

Fullhousebrew: Your message really hit home. My wife and two young kids definitely make it more difficult to make time to brew. I only average 4-5 batches per year. It is a lot of hard work and I would hate to risk it. I’ll probably be buying a new pack.

This is ironic considering the two factors that are leading me to brew this week:

1. on a whim, I saved some of the yeast cake from the batch I brewed last week, assuming it’d probably sit in my fridge for months before inevitably being dumped
  2. then, my wife decided to make a last-minute trip to Dallas with the kids this coming weekend - opening me up to do whatever I want

I guess I was excited to get to try reusing yeast for the first time. Maybe someday…

I wouldn’t risk it either. Odds are the beer will be fine, but I’d still be worrying. If it comes down to the cost of new yeast vs. my peace of mind, I’ll take the peace of mind.

An excellent opportunity to use chlorine dioxide since you will be pitching soon.

Can you elaborate? Is that a compound that kills bacteria but somehow leaves yeast unaffected?

Can you elaborate? Is that a compound that kills bacteria but somehow leaves yeast unaffected?[/quote]
It is a water purification tablet. Northern Brewer carries it. One tablet per quart of yeast and water or slurry.

The chlorine dioxide is not for long term yeast storage. From what I have read it is best to use just before pitching the yeast, after the liquid volume is decanted from over the yeast. Here is a couple of links with user information.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/chlorin ... ing-98084/ http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/washin ... de-380901/

The main caution with using the tablet is that the tablet must be finely crushed before adding to your yeast and water. This eliminates the problem of the yeast coming into contact with a high concentration of the chlorine dioxide.

I haven’t used any yet. Haven’t had a suspect rinsed yeast since I bought it.

Thanks for the information Flars. I’ll definitely be looking into this option. Now to find out if my LHBS carries it.

Or your local sporting goods store.

An update:

I purchased Chlorine Dioxide water purification tablets under the name Potable Aqua from Academy Sports. 20 tablets for $10. I followed the instructions per Northern Brewer’s website.

So far so good. I can confidently say that the tablets didn’t kill the yeast; I have a healthy fermentation going on. Now I can only hope that if my yeast was contaminated that the tablets were effective at cleaning it up.

[quote=“Brick1083”]An update:

I purchased Chlorine Dioxide water purification tablets under the name Potable Aqua from Academy Sports. 20 tablets for $10. I followed the instructions per Northern Brewer’s website.

So far so good. I can confidently say that the tablets didn’t kill the yeast; I have a healthy fermentation going on. Now I can only hope that if my yeast was contaminated that the tablets were effective at cleaning it up.[/quote]
Nice to hear you have a good fermentation going. The alcohol being produced now will also prevent bacterial growth if there is bacteria still present. In my opinion you can be confident your brew does not have an infection pending.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com