Forgot the chocolate malt

So, I’m preparing for a brewday tomorrow and realized I forgot to buy the .75 pound of Chocolate Malt. The recipe calls for .25 lb of roasted barley and .25 lb of black patent. I added those and still have .25 lb of each remaining. What do you think of adding the rest of those two grains? Too bitter? The recipe also calls for dark brown sugar and molasses for some sweetness

I’m not sure if you brewed yet but I would’t add any more black patent. Too much bp can leave an ashy/charcoal type flavor that can dominate. I see no problem adding the .25 roasted barley if you want to, or just go ahead and brew without the chocolate. Your still going to make beer, maybe not the way you intended but hey, it could be a good one.

What’s the rest of the grain bill and what style are you shooting for? I think adding all of that will be okay.

Black malt gets a bad rap, I’ve used up to a pound with no ashy aftertaste. Check out this article by Kris England in BYO. I’ve brewed a couple of those recipes and they came out great

http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indi ... atent-malt

[quote=“BrewingRover”]What’s the rest of the grain bill and what style are you shooting for? I think adding all of that will be okay.

Black malt gets a bad rap, I’ve used up to a pound with no ashy aftertaste. Check out this article by Kris England in BYO. I’ve brewed a couple of those recipes and they came out great

http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indi ... atent-malt[/quote] I read the link and it won't change my mind about black patent. I have used more than a half pound in my brew and i thought it was too much. I guess everyones tastebuds are different. On another note maybe there is a taste difference between maltsters. I've been using briess from my lhbs. If there is a big difference I'd be willing to try more. I just don't know if there is one. I like the results I'm getting from a restrained BP addition. Cheers.

Please include the full recipe. It’s difficult to give anything more than a stab at the wall with out more information.

But, you could do a cold steep with the additional malts. This helps to reduce the harsher flavors while bringing out the color.

Thanks everybody - one of my brewbuddy’s ended up having exactly what I needed! It’s an Imperial Stout - OG = 1.103, IBU = 65. I almost always have an anxiety attack over something when I brew - typically it’s the yeast, but this time it was the chocolate malt. Thanks for your thoughts though!

[quote=“wallybeer”][quote=“BrewingRover”]What’s the rest of the grain bill and what style are you shooting for? I think adding all of that will be okay.

http://www.byo.com/stories/article/indi ... atent-malt[/quote] I read the link and it won't change my mind about black patent. I have used more than a half pound in my brew and i thought it was too much. I guess everyones tastebuds are different. On another note maybe there is a taste difference between maltsters. I've been using briess from my lhbs. If there is a big difference I'd be willing to try more. I just don't know if there is one. I like the results I'm getting from a restrained BP addition. Cheers.[/quote]

I’ve generally used BP from British maltsters, which I’m sure makes a difference. But you’re right, everyone’s tastes are different. How boring would things be if they weren’t.
:cheers: