Force carbing, worth it?

Roger that, thanks again guys.

Yes you can buy food grade lines at the hardware store. Where else would you buy lines to go to the ice maker in the refrigerator.

There is a thought out there that the inside of the lines are not smooth. Thus will cause turbulence and foaming.

You can order some “beverage” lines from McMaster Carr for a decent price. Couple the order with O-Rings.

I buy my beverage line at Home Depot. 20’ for $4.

[quote=“ipa”][quote=“560sdl”]
Notice I did not state a pressure. What would 20 minutes at 12 psi do? Probably would not be overcarbed. I don’t know because I have never tried it. But “some people” have :cheers: [/quote]

Notice nobody stated temperature, which makes a huge difference. I am interested by this 400 rolls technique. What temp do you do that at?[/quote]
Usually very close to freezing because I cold crash before racking to a keg. But I’ve done some closer to 60*F that came out fine.

Here my process:
Hook up keg and set pressure to 30 psi. Turn keg on its side, with the “IN” post closest to the floor on the bottom, and “OUT” on top. If pressure isn’t set before doing this, beer will flow into the gas line. I sit on the floor and roll the keg away from me about 6 inches, then roll it back…that’s two rolls. I usually count to 100 with a four count. "1-2-3-4, 2-2-3-4, 3-2-3-4, 4-2-3-4, and so on. That’s all there is to it. Nicely carbed beer in just a few minutes.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Force carbonation: using a tank of CO2 to carbonate a beer.
The advantage of “force carbonation” is there is less sediment on the bottom of the keg.[/quote]
I haven’t noticed much difference actually. I think most of the yeast that does the carbing, is already floating around in the beer.

They say that quick carbing can give you bigger coarser bubbles. If you set to the proper psi for the temp the beer is at (look at carbonation tables) and let it go for a few days, you get finer bubbles that are somehow slightly superior in terms of mouthfeel. Natural carbonation also produces the finer bubbles. I think this may be sue to some reactions of dissolved CO2 with beer constituents that proceed fairly slowly.

I have noticed this. It seems like the CO2 comes out of solution quicker the less time it has had to dissolve into the beer.

Yes and I don’t think people know exactly why this is. The whole carbonation phenomenon is fairly complicated and not that well understood.

I’ve had good luck doing the following, for very quick turnarounds:

-chill beer to 35* (you can also add prepared gelatin at this step to enhance clarity)
-rack to keg
-hook up gas, set to 30psi
-roll keg on floor for about 5 minutes, until you hear it stop gurgling
-disconnect gas and place in fridge for 2 hours
-hook up gas and set psi to desired volumes of CO2 in the beer (google ‘carbonation chart homebrew’) based on the temp of the beer
-24 hours later, dial psi back to 2-4, bleed off excess gas, run one pint or so into a dump bucket (or in my case, my gullet) to get rid of unwanted sediment, then enjoy.

If its still a little low (I doubt it), just ratchet the psi back up to 25 or so when you aren’t drinking it and try it every day (after dialing back down to serving psi…my system can fill a pint in a few seconds when set at 1-2psi). I haven’t overcarbed one yet.

Pietro,

Care to share your Cranberry Xmas saison recipe?

[quote=“Pietro”]I’ve had good luck doing the following, for very quick turnarounds:

-chill beer to 35* (you can also add prepared gelatin at this step to enhance clarity)
-rack to keg
-hook up gas, set to 30psi
-roll keg on floor for about 5 minutes, until you hear it stop gurgling
-disconnect gas and place in fridge for 2 hours
-hook up gas and set psi to desired volumes of CO2 in the beer (google ‘carbonation chart homebrew’) based on the temp of the beer
-24 hours later, dial psi back to 2-4, bleed off excess gas, run one pint or so into a dump bucket (or in my case, my gullet) to get rid of unwanted sediment, then enjoy.

If its still a little low (I doubt it), just ratchet the psi back up to 25 or so when you aren’t drinking it and try it every day (after dialing back down to serving psi…my system can fill a pint in a few seconds when set at 1-2psi). I haven’t overcarbed one yet.[/quote]

It’s a simple fact that equilibrium will happen. If you have the regulator set to 2psi, the CO2 in solution will out gas as the head space increase. You are “serving” the beer with this head space gas. Not the gas in the tank. Eventually the beer will become “flat-ish”.

If you have to bleed off the gas in the head space to pour a pint, you are over carbonated.

I’m not a physicist, but I have been watching The Big Ban Theory lately.

[quote=“Nighthawk”] It’s a simple fact that equilibrium will happen. If you have the regulator set to 2psi, the CO2 in solution will out gas as the head space increase. You are “serving” the beer with this head space gas. Not the gas in the tank. Eventually the beer will become “flat-ish”.

If you have to bleed off the gas in the head space to pour a pint, you are over carbonated.

I’m not a physicist, but I have been watching The Big Ban Theory lately.[/quote]

I think its the ‘eventually’ part that doesn’t happen with my beer. Since I don’t have a dedicated serving fridge, I usually bottle a few (or a case) out of my keg, then leave it hooked up if I don’t need the fridge…sometimes, yes, at 2-4ish psi.

Just so I’m clear though, the typical practice is to keep the psi at whatever number is on the carbonation chart when serving? It makes sense what you are saying re: the headspace CO2 actually pushing the beer out, but I always though that most serving lines (I just have a picnic hose for now) would foam if served at higher psi.

Pietro, the key is to balance the serving pressure with the length of the line.

Here’s a link that may be useful.

Back to the original question I’ve tried all 3 methods forced it over night, set it and forget it, and the use of priming sugar. I prefer the sugar, I made a 10 gal batch and split it between 2 kegs 1 I primed the other I set it and let it sit. After 3 weeks both were carbed nicely but the 1 I primed with sugar had a better flavor. The arguments of sediment and time I feel are not valid 1 or 2 beers with sediment and a couple weeks to wait, if I wanted quick and clean over flavor I would go buy a 6 pack. All u need is a couple of extra kegs so that you have 1 ready when you blow 1 just my 2 cents worth try all 3 and see which you prefer.

I went with the 12 psi over a week, all good, thanks for all the replies.