Force carbing, worth it?

Just got a kegging system for Christmas, been reading a ton about forcing carbing vs. the traditional carbing (sugar, wait 2 weeks, etc.). One of the great things about kegging was the beer was ready in a day or two with force carbing, but then I read you can over carb a beer and have foam forever, not something I want to do. What works best? I have the carbing of beer in bottles down, no issues at all. Would love to have my beer ready in 2 days vs. 2 weeks. Thanks as always.

Hank

1. Get keg cold first. 30 psi for 48-60 hours, then purge and set to serving pressure for a day - it wont be over carbonated.

2. Some people have success putting it on the gas and rolling on the floor for 20 minutes and say it is carbed just right. I have not tried it.

Force carbonation: using a tank of CO2 to carbonate a beer.

Natural carbonation: using a sugar and yeast to carbonate a beer.

Quick carbonation: using a tank of CO2 at a higher pressure than the serving pressure to carbonate a beer.

Yes if you “quick carbonate” a beer you run the risk of over carbonating it and having a foamy beer until you get the carbonation level back down.

560sdl’s posting is one way of “quick carbonating” a beer. To me, 48-60 hours seem like a big spread. 48 could be under carbonated. And 60 over carbonated.

The advantage of “force carbonation” is there is less sediment on the bottom of the keg.

Beer left at serving temps and pressure will take 1-2 weeks to carb properly. That’s what I do and am happy with it. I know a lot of guys try to carb quicker with higher pressure and shaking, etc. It’s personal preference, and time availability. Naturally carbing is a great way to get the beer carbed if you don’t have a spot in your fridge/keezer, etc, to get it carbing while waiting to get put in line.

I also like the set it and forget it method too. It always seems to me that the beer gets better as it sits in the keg. So, if I would do the quick carb method I’d be drinking it a day or so after it was kegged. With the set it and forget it method the beer gets to age for a week or so before I even touch it. Win win in my book.

I cold crash for 24-48 hours in the carboy then ill put it in a keg set the psi to 40 for 24 hours turn it down to serving pressure for me thats around 8 psi sample the beer then turn it up to 30psi for another 24 hours after that turn it down to serving pressure then drink it. I have done this for the last 10-15 kegs that I have done and I haven’t had a over pressurized keg problem.

In reality this is closer to what I do, but go 30 max for a little longer. I know above I stated 48-60 hours but it is being monitored and tested during that time

In reality this is closer to what I do, but go 30 max for a little longer. I know above I stated 48-60 hours but it is being monitored and tested during that time[/quote]
You also stated rolling it on the floor for 20 minutes will get it carbed. IME, 20 minutes of rolling will definitely overcarb your beer. I’d bet you were near 30psi in the keg/beer after 20 minutes. I set pressure to 30 and roll the keg back and forth 400 times which takes about 2 minutes. Give it 3 hours to settle and you can drink beer in 3 hours and 2 minutes. :slight_smile:

[quote=“mvsawyer”]
You also stated rolling it on the floor for 20 minutes will get it carbed. IME, 20 minutes of rolling will definitely overcarb your beer. I’d bet you were near 30psi in the keg/beer after 20 minutes. I set pressure to 30 and roll the keg back and forth 400 times which takes about 2 minutes. Give it 3 hours to settle and you can drink beer in 3 hours and 2 minutes. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Notice I did not state a pressure. What would 20 minutes at 12 psi do? Probably would not be overcarbed. I don’t know because I have never tried it. But “some people” have :cheers:

Ok, thank you for the clarification. So if I just want to carb the beer, I assume 10 psi for two weeks and it should be good to go?

Depends on your system. Pressure, temperature and carb level are all interrelated. If you want 2.5vol of CO2 at 10psi, your beer needs to be at 35F. Might be a bit too cold for serving beer. Set that pressure to12-13psi and you can keep your beer at 40F, a much better drinkable temperature, despite what Miller/Coors would have us believe. :wink:

Here’s a good chart…http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“mvsawyer”]
You also stated rolling it on the floor for 20 minutes will get it carbed. IME, 20 minutes of rolling will definitely overcarb your beer. I’d bet you were near 30psi in the keg/beer after 20 minutes. I set pressure to 30 and roll the keg back and forth 400 times which takes about 2 minutes. Give it 3 hours to settle and you can drink beer in 3 hours and 2 minutes. :slight_smile: [/quote]

Notice I did not state a pressure. What would 20 minutes at 12 psi do? Probably would not be overcarbed. I don’t know because I have never tried it. But “some people” have :cheers: [/quote]
Got me on a technicality…touché. 20 minutes at 12 psi would get you very close to 12psi in the keg…well played.

[quote=“560sdl”]
Notice I did not state a pressure. What would 20 minutes at 12 psi do? Probably would not be overcarbed. I don’t know because I have never tried it. But “some people” have :cheers: [/quote]

Notice nobody stated temperature, which makes a huge difference. I am interested by this 400 rolls technique. What temp do you do that at?

Good point on temperature, was planning 40 degrees, so I will go with 12 psi for 2 weeks.

I’ll toss this out for the discussion. Yes, 35* may be to cold for craft beer. The flavors come out at warmer temps.

How long does it take a glass of beer to warm from 45* to 50*? :shock:

What do you have for serving line length? That will make/break you pour. To short for the pressure and you will have a glass of foam.

I have 3/16 3.5’ tubing. Basically cutting the picnic end and connecting to the shank. I read a good amount about the “ideal” length equals less foam, all about tweaking I guess.

Only having a kegerator for 7 months I’m still learning but here’s what I’ve done with success.
Chill the keg at keg temp for 24 hours. Next day 30 PSI for 24 hours, then 20 PSI for 24 hours then 10 PSI for 2 days and usually, it’s perfect.
Just recently I tried the set it and forget it…10 PSI for 7 days. It wasn’t ready and nothing personal, after fermenting 3 weeks and conditioning in the keg (room temps) for 3 weeks, this beer was ready to drink but it still needs a few more days on gas.
I’m going back to my original way as it just works for me and my equipment.

That is a pretty short length. I’d start high (maybe 10 ft) and cut if necessary to balance your system. Ideally you will carb and serve at the same pressure (if you do the set and forget method of carbing).

[quote=“Beerlord”]Only having a kegerator for 7 months I’m still learning but here’s what I’ve done with success.
Chill the keg at keg temp for 24 hours. Next day 30 PSI for 24 hours, then 20 PSI for 24 hours then 10 PSI for 2 days and usually, it’s perfect.
Just recently I tried the set it and forget it…10 PSI for 7 days. It wasn’t ready and nothing personal, after fermenting 3 weeks and conditioning in the keg (room temps) for 3 weeks, this beer was ready to drink but it still needs a few more days on gas.
I’m going back to my original way as it just works for me and my equipment.[/quote]

This is exactly what I do except I start the gas as soon as keg goes in the fridge.
30psi - 24hrs
20psi - 24hrs
10psi - 24-48hrs
4-6psi - serving pressure

By the time I drop it to 10psi, it’s drinkable. But after a day or two at 10psi, it’s ready to drop down to serving pressure which is usually around 5psi. Been doing it this way for a year now. No issues.

Hmm, I can buy that tubing at Lowes right? Thanks for info on the psi settings, guess it is all trial and error.

I doubt you can buy food grade line at Lowes.