Force carbing @ 25 psi

This is my first corney keg force carbonation. There are many videos and instructionals on the different and “recommended” way to force carb. I decided to try force carbing my IPA @25 psi for 2 1/2 to 3 days. My question is… I am using a converted pin to ball lock keg with no relief valve. Do I shut down all the air to the keg after 2 1/2 days and disconnect the gas side and bleed off from the poppet to get the keg down to 5 psi to see where I am at? Any insight would be appreciated.

MaSheriff

This is what I do…Force carb at 28psi for 3 days @34f. Then turn reg down to serving pressure…my case 10psi (I use 10ft of 3/8id beverage hose). Then bleed down keg to @ 10psi then let the keg equalize with co2. I then let sit for 2 days at 10psi. After that I tap the keg. This provides approx 2.5-6 volumes. This the type of mouth feel that works for me!

Note: this of course is the way it works for me, but should provide similar results for you as well.

[quote=“jkerulusmc”]This is what I do…(I use 10ft of 3/8id beverage hose).[/quote]I think you meant 3/16" ID right?

I am using a kegerator with draft tower. My lines are not very long.

MaSheriff

What size and length of line are you using? You need the correct size/length for the vol. you are wishing to serve at.

You can either bleed off the poppet or pull enough (frothy) beer out to reduce your head pressure. Either way is fine.

“What size and length of line are you using? You need the correct size/length for the vol. you are wishing to serve at.”

I am using 5 feet of 3/16 id beer line (stock on the kegerator). The beer I am carbonating is Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale at 6% abv.

MaSheriff

Sorry, I did mean 3/16".

Update: (2) days @ 25 psi, I dropped the pressure down to 10 psi and took a sample. It is perfectly carbonated! So excited! I will leave the serving pressure @ 10 psi.

MaSheriff

Awesome, sounds great! Enjoy and happy kegging.