Food Pairing for a party

Looking for some suggestions:

We are participating in a family party in May. We are trying to do a beer & appetizer pairing thing with a world cuisine theme.

Somebody is bringing tacos & coronas…etc.

I currently have ready, or soon to be ready:

NB Irish Red
NB Dead Ringer IPA
NB Cream Ale
NB Big Honkin Stout

Any thoughts on an ethnic paired appitizer with any of those; or any other suggestions? I was thinking brat sliders with a Kolsch or Pils, but I’d love to take some of what I have brewed/bottled.

I don’t know much about pairing food and beer so I’ll toss out some ideas for cooking with your beer, which you then could obviously pair it with.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/otto ... index.html

I love absolutely everything about this recipe! Cheese soup might be a little bit much in the spring/summer but if you got some good bread it is great for dipping. I’ve used a big stout before in this recipe so the Big Honken Stout should work as well.

http://www.homebrewchef.com/RoastedGarl ... atoes.html

These are terrific as well and obviously great with an IPA.

Now that I think about it neither of these are very ethnic but I can guarantee people will like them. Make them for yourself if not for this.

http://www.homebrewchef.com/recipes.html

I’ve only looked at the IPA mashed potatoes before but not that I’m glancing over it this website looks great. I’m sure you can find something.

Those recipes look great, thanks!

I’m thinking of doing Thai Peanut chicken skewers with the IPA. I love that spicy peanut sauce.

check out some online articles too:

http://allaboutbeer.com/live-beer/food/

I’ve done several beer dinners, pairing different beers with entrees, salads, soups, appetizers and desserts. A general rule of thumb is that you should MATCH INTENSITIES. Translated, this means don’t pair your Big Honkin’ Stout with a tossed salad, or the cream ale with beef brisket. The beer and food should compliment each other in a sense that one doesn’t overpower the other. Begin with the lightest intensity beer and food, then graduate to more intense flavors so as to avoid palate fatigue and the the subtle nuances you desire guests to enjoy won’t be missed. Start with the cream ale, move toward the irish ale, the ipa, then close with the stout.

You want the pairings to bring out the BEST of what you are trying to showcase, your beer! There are 4 “C’s” of beer and food pairings.

Compliment: this one is easy; the caramel malty flavors of the Irish Red will pair nicely with a comfort-food style soup or red meat dish; the caramelization of the meat during cooking pairs nicely with the maltiness of the beer. An obvious one is to pair the stout with a chocolate lava cake or similar chocolate dessert; the chocolate and roast flavors of each compliment one another.

Cleanse: there is no other better partner to artisan cheese than beer! Period. The cleansing action of the C02 in beer will whisk away the fats and oils and leave the palate clean and able to taste another bite of cheese as if it were the first taste; wine cannot do this. Try a hardy, aged cheddar appetizer with an IPA, the hops, alcohol, and C02 will cleanse the palate and make this hoppy beer approachable for the uninitiated.

Contrast: this one takes some trial and error. Basically, you are going to contrast sweet to bitter for example; a classic contrasting pairing is an Imperial IPA to carrot cake. Unless you prepare something ahead of time and make sure you can nail a contrasting pairing, stick with complimentary and cleansing pairing approaches.

Create: you can create new flavors by a well thought-out pairing. The flavors begin by complimenting one another then create something new altogether; the cream ale paired with a lighter intensity appetizer will not only cleanse the palate but conjure up new flavors and perhaps memories of something entirely different. A light cheese and fruit dish for starters will work, as will the lighter appearance of the cream ale to avoid the ladies from saying, “Ewww, dark beer!”

Beer is more forgiving than wine, it’s less acidic, and has a far wider range of ingredients and styles to choose from. Where you can’t find a wine to pair with a particular dish, there is ALWAYS a beer that will! A note for your future pairings: Belgian ales are a dream to pair with food, particularly artisan cheeses. As Randy Mosher says, when in doubt, go Belgian!

Have fun!!

I can’t help but to think how that irish red would taste in a beer battered fish. Really, you could batter anything though, but an Irish Red served along side fish battered with it, I’m in!
:cheers:

I make a cheese ale soup and my irish red is the star ingredient…

Some blue cheese with the stout. You could even make a Blue cheese cheese cake. I think Alton Brown of the food network had a savory cheese cake recipe. I always wanted to try it, but have not yet. My family would not appreciate it, and I don’t need to eat a whole cheese cake by myself.

I own a couple books that I recommend for pairing ideas and recipes:

Beer and Food - Lucy Saunders (great recipes)

The Brewmaster’s Table - Garrett Oliver

Irish Red and corned beef.

Stout with steak, or roasted red meat in sauce or gravy

IPA with salmon or BBQ (brats are fine), IPA also good with sharp cheddar and crackers for an appetizer

Cream ale with mild flavored foods (chipped beef?)

Irish Red with …hoagies??? (or Shepherd’s Pie)