Foaming out of bottle

For the past two brews I have done, when I open a bottle, within a minute it will start violently foaming out the top. I’ve talked to a friend who brews and he said to check the FG and compare it to what it is supposed to be as compared to the recipe sheet. Both times it has either been at or below what the FG is supposed to be. I have also plugged info into a calculator to see how much priming sugar to use to carb the beer and have gone on the low side to what it recommends. What am I doing wrong?

1.) what was the final gravity?

2.) how much sugar did you use vs. volume of beer?

3.) Every bottle? or just some? Maybe sugar not mixed thoroughly?

4.) Infection?

Those are really the only 4 options as far as I know - was not done fermenting, added too much priming sugar, priming sugar not mixed, infection - bacteria keep fermenting what is left.

Likely #3 - not thoroughly mixing the priming sugar. If you put the sugar syrup in the bottom of the bottling bucket and then racked the beer on top, it’s difficult to get a good mix. After you’ve racked, take a long spoon and gently stir to distribute the sugar, then stir again after every 6-12 bottles and the sugar will stay in suspension and you’ll get even carbonation.

I’ve had infections that did this. The beer didn’t taste bad, per say, but it didn’t taste like it was supposed to. I think it was an infection from my bottling bucket, because the beer tasted good at bottling. I ended up dumping the batch, wasn’t good enough to hold on to and it didn’t seem to get better.
Check your bottling bucket spigot, there’s some corners and areas that are hard to clean and sanitize. Maybe disassemble it and soak it in PBW or something.

[quote=“Braufessor”]1.) what was the final gravity?

2.) how much sugar did you use vs. volume of beer?

3.) Every bottle? or just some? Maybe sugar not mixed thoroughly?

4.) Infection?

Those are really the only 4 options as far as I know - was not done fermenting, added too much priming sugar, priming sugar not mixed, infection - bacteria keep fermenting what is left.[/quote]

On the last batch I did:

1. OG was 1.090 ; FG was 1.012

2. I used 2.07 oz of table sugar for ~4.8 gallons

3. It is every bottle

4. I don’t know if its an infection; I clean everything with Star San prior to bottling

The beer tastes fine. The only problem is it foaming like that and once the foam starts residing (if I pour it into a glass) it leaves a nasty foam reside on the glass.

I have had a batch or two of “foamers” over the years that tasted pretty good. My solution was to put it in the fridge to keep it cold, pour a bottle or two in a pitcher, let it sit for 15 minutes, then pour to glass and enjoy.

How long did you ferment before bottling?

I never go by what the FG “should” be, I go by when its done. I’ve had more than one batch come in a point or three under the suggested FG.

Have you checked the calibration of your hydrometer?

[quote=“shizzy”]How long did you ferment before bottling?

I never go by what the FG “should” be, I go by when its done. I’ve had more than one batch come in a point or three under the suggested FG. [/quote]

I fermented 2 weeks in the primary and another 3 in the secondary.

After I bottled, I opened on two weeks later and it appeared to be fine. Now that I’m opening bottles, it doesn’t start foaming right away but with in a minute it is foaming out the top.

Did you use something like OxiClean to clean the bottles? If not Star San is a sanitizer and won’t do a good job of cleaning.

If it tastes ok I would doubt its an infection but I’m not sure what would cause the nasty foam. Unless you’re talking about lacing.

[quote=“ashtonmr”]

1. I don’t know if its an infection; I clean everything with Star San prior to bottling

The beer tastes fine. The only problem is it foaming like that and once the foam starts residing (if I pour it into a glass) it leaves a nasty foam reside on the glass.[/quote]