Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Foam!

Hello Everyone,

A couple of days ago I adjusted the temperature of my keezer from 42* to 45* without making any changes to my regulator settings. Today I poured a pint of my American Brown and noticed that I had an abundance of foam on my hands, where as a couple of days ago (prior to raising the temperature) I had nearly perfect pours. Could adjusting the temperature by this small amount have caused the foam? If so, what would be the fix?

I can’t really see that temp difference making a big deal, I run my old school GE fridge right around 33 or 34. More kegs inside mean in needs to be cooler, at least in my fridge, but here are a couple of things to consider here.

First what taps do you have and are they clean? I’m not assuming you don’t take care of your lines or anything just asking. And yes taps matter. Perlicks can go for weeks, cheapys can get clogged and stuck in just a day. I know, been there done that.

Second, was that the first pour in a few days? I notice occasionally not pouring for a while that first pour can suck.

Third, back to temp, have you ever taking your in glass beer temp, 45 might feel cold but you beer may not be that temp. Warm beer tends to foam.

A few last things, double check your regulator didn’t creep on you, and lastly make sure you’re glasses are clean, it sounds stupid but it does matter.

[quote=“nate4g63”]I can’t really see that temp difference making a big deal, I run my old school GE fridge right around 33 or 34. More kegs inside mean in needs to be cooler, at least in my fridge, but here are a couple of things to consider here.

First what taps do you have and are they clean? I’m not assuming you don’t take care of your lines or anything just asking. And yes taps matter. Perlicks can go for weeks, cheapys can get clogged and stuck in just a day. I know, been there done that.

Second, was that the first pour in a few days? I notice occasionally not pouring for a while that first pour can suck.

Third, back to temp, have you ever taking your in glass beer temp, 45 might feel cold but you beer may not be that temp. Warm beer tends to foam.

A few last things, double check your regulator didn’t creep on you, and lastly make sure you’re glasses are clean, it sounds stupid but it does matter.[/quote]
Thanks, Nate – I’m using the Foam Free Tubing Kit

from NB, which I just installed about a month ago. It has worked really well until yesterday, which was my first pour in two days, having adjusted the temperature the day before. While I didn’t check the temperature of the beer in the glass, I’ll do so the next time I pour. Regulator was stationary at 10 PSI. Glass was definitely clean! I’m stumped because the only difference was the 3* change in temperature.

That is strange. Unless the tubing is dirty, I’d start pouring at a lower PSI than what you have been. Did you happen to dry hop you brew? I’ve had times where hop particles we’re stuck in the pickup tube or post which caused some foaming as well. I’d say if lowering the psi doesn’t work soak your line and get it super clean just to rule it out.

Nate - the beer was not dry hopped and had been sitting in secondary for a couple of months before kegging, so it was pretty clear going into the keg. I actually gave NB a call and after explaining the situation the rep’s explanation was that even a 3* temperature rise could cause enough CO2 to come out of solution to force the beer out so quickly that it would foam. I bled the keg and will try another pour tomorrow. If that doesn’t work, I’ll definitely give the lines a soak in StarSan. Thanks for your help.
:cheers:

That’s interesting on the temp change I wouldn’t have expected that. Good to know though.

+1

This would have been my answer

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com