Foam, Foam, Foam!

so now for two consecutive home brew kegs, i have gotten nothing but foam out of the tap. I also get CO2 in the beer line that builds up after the pour. I have consistently pressurized at 12 pounds no more, no less. The temp at the top of my mini fridge where the beer comes out of the keg is 45 degrees. I have 6 feet of 3/16 beer line. I am at wits end and extremely frustrated can someone please help.

Double the length of your line.

Are these your first 2 kegs or have you been using this system previously with no foaming issues?

line length is usually the problem. ipa is right install longer lines and trim a little at a time till the pour is perfect.

I’ve got 10’ of line with your same specs and get great pours. I agree with the others and suggest longer lines.

:cheers:

Thanks guys for returning so quickly, these are the first 2 kegs through the system. I will hopefully change out my line tomorrow and let you guys know how i make out.

For a quick check, drop the pressure on the regulator to 5-6 PSI, pull the pressure-relief valve on the keg until you see the needle drop to the lower pressure, then immediately pour a beer (if you wait, the pressure in the keg will rise as the beer outgases to reach equilibrium with the headspace). If you get a good pour, then your only problem is the line length.

Your setup would be fine if you got it down to the proper temps that the line length/pressure/temp combination needs, and that would be about 36-38F. The beer will still be a perfect temp when served.

It’s all preference, but colder temps hold the carbonation into solution better and under 40F bacterial growth is almost never an issue. Above 40 the bugs can grow and for every degree warmer the CO2 comes out of solution faster and faster when you pour. That known adjust accordingly for line/temp/pressure.

[quote=“Dean Palmer”]Your setup would be fine if you got it down to the proper temps that the line length/pressure/temp combination needs, and that would be about 36-38F. The beer will still be a perfect temp when served.

It’s all preference, but colder temps hold the carbonation into solution better and under 40F bacterial growth is almost never an issue. Above 40 the bugs can grown and for every degree warmer the CO2 comes out of solution faster and faster when you pour. That known adjust accordingly for line/temp/pressure.[/quote]
I believe bacterial growth in an alcoholic, non oxygen, sealed CO2 environment is also a non-issue.

[quote=“mvsawyer”][quote=“Dean Palmer”]Your setup would be fine if you got it down to the proper temps that the line length/pressure/temp combination needs, and that would be about 36-38F. The beer will still be a perfect temp when served.

It’s all preference, but colder temps hold the carbonation into solution better and under 40F bacterial growth is almost never an issue. Above 40 the bugs can grown and for every degree warmer the CO2 comes out of solution faster and faster when you pour. That known adjust accordingly for line/temp/pressure.[/quote]
I believe bacterial growth in an alcoholic, non oxygen, sealed CO2 environment is also a non-issue.[/quote]

Then our beers would never spoil. Which is not the case.