Fly or Batch - which do you do?

So I notice that even though a lot of the discussion here has to do with batch brewing still if you go shopping for a mash system what you find are fly systems. I Know there are a also a lot of traditional flyers out there. So I am wondering how many of us have changed to batch? Is it becoming the new norm?

Barry,

BTW - I am Batch. I have gone to double 10 gal coolers so I can run double batches. I am today building out the screen for Mash ton #2. Best part is the cooler (round) was free. I will have one round and one square so will be able to compair those soon.

I switched this year - after 7-8 years of fly sparging.

Will never switch back.

You have a perspective I don’t. I started Batch so cannot compare the “work” difference between the two.

Barry

Batch, but I’m a BIAB’er. I mash in a 10gal pot and do about a 10min dunk/soak/sparge in a smaller pot. Keeps my process/system pretty simple. I really can’t imagine waiting around for long 30/60/90 minute sparges like some guys I know do.

They both work for making beer, one just takes a hell of a lot longer (read: waste of time). I’m a batch sparger (always have been) if you couldn’t tell by that statement.

I’ve batch sparged from the git go. Until I came to this forum and read about Denny’s Cheap-n-Easy® method all I had read about was fly sparging and it seemed somewhat imtimidating. If I ever get off my can and get my 20 gallon setup running I may have to fly some beers due to mash tun constraints.

Good call. Fly sparging is practical for larger batches. I take my “waste of time” statement back.

Faced with that same issue (wanting to run larger volume batches), rather than fly I just went with 2 coolers. Gonna do the conversion on #2 tonight. I will just split the batch 1/2 and 1/2 and recombine in the boil kettle. although I am doing 10 galloners so far.
Barry

[quote=“Vulkin’”]Faced with that same issue (wanting to run larger volume batches), rather than fly I just went with 2 coolers. Gonna do the conversion on #2 tonight. I will just split the batch 1/2 and 1/2 and recombine in the boil kettle. although I am doing 10 galloners so far.
Barry[/quote]I did that for a few years with two coolers. Now I exclusively Fly sparge 22 gallon batches. As others have said, fly makes sense for larger batches. I like the fact that I heat my runnings as I am sparging so that when done, I am at a boil.

+1

I batch sparge 5 gallons to 7.5 gallons. I fly anything above

I know this is hard to believe, but I batch sparge… :wink:

I have batch-sparged both of the all-grain batches I have done. Dont think I would have taken the leap without finding Denny’s website. Found a blue cooler too. :lol:

I batched sparge and don’t have any plans to change. My friend owns a 1.5 barrel nano brewery and we batch sparge with great results. Not going to lie it is some hard work. When we add the sparge water we fill from the bottom. Seems to break up the grains a little which makes stirring easier. Something to think about for those of you going to 20 gallon batches.

:cheers:

I tried batch sparging but my efficiencies were low and not consistent so now I strictly fly sparge.

I batch sparge mainly for two reasons:

1. I built my mash tun based on Denny’s website & video’s from Don O

2. My “system” consists of one mash tun, one brew kettle & one 5 gallon bucket. I heat my strike water & dump it in the mash tun, then heat the remaining water I will need (hotter than it needs to be) and put it in the 5 gallon bucket. Then I run off into my brew kettle. It is a very minimalist system that has worked very well.

Full disclosure: I have one all grain batch under my belt. But the batch sparge worked great that one time. 2nd all grain coming up in about 2 weeks.

For years I fly sparged with mixed results (some times great other times poor due to tannin leaching) I found with my system that it was hard to maintain 170 degrees the entire time I was sparging and my temps would sway to the high side.

Next was time involved. The extra 60-90 minutes just didn’t jive with me especially in the cooler months up here in Pennsylvania.

Lastly, my gravity system was ghetto at best. I feared that I would have a major catastrophe if I did not re-evaluate my set up.

The last three batches I have done have been batch and I must say I am pleased with the results. My efficiency hasn’t been considerably lower and the time and piece of mind saved is invaluable.

I do 5 - 7 gallon batches FYIW.

:cheers:

I started with fly sparging 5 gallon batches. Now I do 10 gallon batches in 2 coolers and I batch sparge. Definitely seems easier and quicker.

Why does everyone say that fly sparging is easier as the batches get larger?

That’s a very atypical result. Any ideas why?

Once you go batch you never go back…

[quote=“bistro37”]Why does everyone say that fly sparging is easier as the batches get larger?[/quote]I don’t think it’s easier, it’s more about having a large enough mash tun to hold 50-60 lbs of grain and 12-14 gallons of water for batch sparging, if you don’t you would need to fly sparge or do 2 batch sparges. I have a 30 gallon cooler, I think I’ll be okay batch sparging lower gravity 20 gallon batches but it may not be large enough for bigger beers.