Flat beer - any suggestions?

I brewed a batch of stout and bottled them back in August. I have been traveling a lot and haven’t had time to try it - then I recently tried the beer. It tasted good, but one big problem - it’s under carbonated. I didn’t think this would be an issue because the basement was pretty warm (easily around 70 in August). Now the beers are 5 months old and aged, but it tastes like freaking the ales I drank in pubs in London! Is there any way to fix this (other than opening each bottle and put dry yeast and sugar)? I’ve never kegged before but is that a way to solve this?

I’d drink them as they are, and only cooled to cellar temp. Authentic British style.

Pouring them (carefully to avoid excess aeration) into a keg, then purging with CO2 and artificially carbonating would work, but that is an expensive bit of equipment to get unless you wanted to get into kegging anyway. Sorry, but the bit of sugar and yeast into each bottle sounds like the easiest option.

+1 for that.

That’s what Id do too. Shoot I’d even think it was on purpose if ya didn’t tell me!

As I have gotten older, I think that certain styles are not bad with under carbonation. Stouts, though, I like fully carbed, even Nitro-carbed. You could blend them!

Let your palate be your guide.

:cheers:

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]As I have gotten older, I think that certain styles are not bad with under carbonation. Stouts, though, I like fully carbed, even Nitro-carbed. You could blend them!

Let your palate be your guide.

:cheers: [/quote]

+1….blend them with a fully carb beer and call it a day :slight_smile: Black and tan?

If you’re going to try and recarb each bottle, I would suggest you do a few bottles and see how you like it. I did this once with a whole batch and it went from not great beer to lawn fertilizer.

I totally agree^^^. Since you don’t know the exact cause of the problem, better to experiment with a couple rather than the whole batch. I did this with a batch of Caribou Slobber that was undercarbed. Took three bottles, uncapped, added boiled and cooled sugar water, recapped, and let sit for two weeks. I was lucky, my first attempt worked–but if it hadn’t, I would only have lost 3 beers.

Can you give us your priming sugar info?

Ron