Flanders Red...1056 then Roselare or just Roselare?

I’m getting ready to brew this for the first time…based off JZ’s BCS recipe. I’m looking for tart/sour…not bracingly sour though. What does everyone think? If I remember right JZ said pitch 1056 and wait until it’s down to 1.020 give or take then pitch the Roselare. I was thinking maybe pitching 1056 and giving it 2 days head start then adding the Roselare.

Thoughts?

Pat

I went straight to Roseelare, but I am planning a long ferment and eventual blending. The concern is that you might not get all the flavors expected, if you use the straight ale yeast first. The Brett will probably come out, but the lacto may be left without much to chew on.

If you aren’t going to put it into a barrel, definitely just Roselare. I find that Roselare’s level of sourness (especially in the first generation of use) is greatly dependent on oxygen exposure.

This probably won’t answer your question, but we direct pitched a pack of Roselare into three separate carboys on June 8. Very variable results with the same wort, 2 had a small pellicle that disappeared quickly (see

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119340&p=1043113&hilit=+pellicle#p1043099

).

I added some oak chips and some Oude Boon Gueze dregs to one of the non-pelliculared carboys. Getting a little more surface activity, but nothing like the one on the right. Especially if you are planning a long age, definitely mash high 154-155 to allow plenty of dextrins/complex sugars.

I have heard of people not getting enough sourness/acetobacter activity with Jamil’s method (S-05 then Roseleare), but no personal experience in a side-by-side. I would recommend listening to his BN podcast (The Jamil Show) on Flanders Red. Though he’s mainly touting his method, there is some good info on there.

Also, this guy is the man. Does all sorts of experiments so we don’t have to, lots of good sour resources:

Roselare has a Sacch yeast in it.