Fixed the stuck sparges...now my efficiency sucks

Yep, oops. .020". Remember I am the quick masher. 15m to 30m max. Last batch (been a while) I finally got a stuck mash in like 10 years but it was combo of using 10% flaked barley and changing the tun drain to 1/2". Not sure what I am going to do because that beer rawked. I am hooked on the flaked barley.

I will say chances are your next batch will be just fine and it was something odd. **it happens. I’ve always wanted a refractometer for checking first runnings… Maybe old grain, bad malt, what have you.

[quote=“zwiller”]Yep, oops. .020". Remember I am the quick masher. 15m to 30m max. Last batch (been a while) I finally got a stuck mash in like 10 years but it was combo of using 10% flaked barley and changing the tun drain to 1/2". Not sure what I am going to do because that beer rawked. I am hooked on the flaked barley.

I will say chances are your next batch will be just fine and it was something odd. **it happens. I’ve always wanted a refractometer for checking first runnings… Maybe old grain, bad malt, what have you.[/quote]
Brewed my stout yesterday for St Paddy’s. 70% mo, 20% flaked barley, 10% roast barley, ran everything through at .030, mashed 60 mins in the bag, lifted, drained, sparged, very high mash efficiency, no trouble draining. BIAB…just sayin…

With mash in a bag my Dry Irish Stout OG was 1.062 versus the kit-quoted 1.042. So I fermented it out and diluted to an effective OG of 1.042 at bottling, yielding 64 12-oz bottles for a 5 gallon batch, with a final, post dilution ABV of 4.2%. It was very well received by my stout-drinking friends.

The thing I like about mashing in a bag in a round drink cooler is not having to lift the bag past the spigot to get all of the wort to drain…

[quote=“Ken in MN”]With mash in a bag my Dry Irish Stout OG was 1.062 versus the kit-quoted 1.042. So I fermented it out and diluted to an effective OG of 1.042 at bottling, yielding 64 12-oz bottles for a 5 gallon batch, with a final, post dilution ABV of 4.2%. It was very well received by my stout-drinking friends.

The thing I like about mashing in a bag in a round drink cooler is not having to lift the bag past the spigot to get all of the wort to drain…[/quote]

Did you boil the water to de-aerate it before you added it?

I used distilled water from an unopened bottle.

I use this as my guide, and have done this successfully with six batches now:

I also don’t worry too much about oxygen, as I bottle condition and consume and/or give it away fast enough so that shelf stability is not an issue. So far the technique has worked well. If I were kegging I’d do everything possible to eliminate oxygen, but I’m not, so no bigs…