First wort hops

Thinking it was pretty self explanatory, the first recipe I made that called for first wort hopping I put them into the mash(since it is first). Now I realize that it should go into the first runnings. What do other people do here? Do they stay in for the boil also? What would be the difference in flavor/bittering by adding them with the grain instead of into the wort?

Yes, they stay in for the boil. I was discussing mash hopping with Gordon Strong and John Palmer on a recent Beersmith podcast and we all agreed that mash hopping is a waste of hops and gives no basically no effect at all.

Denny is correct in the fact that there is basically no value in mash hopping. Hops need to be isomerized in the boil to release the alpha acid or bitterness. It doesn’t happen at mash temps. Most if not all flavor & aroma from the mash hops would be lost during the boil. Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!

I put the FWH in my kettle as I drain the first runnings from the mash. The hops stay in there till the bitter end

If this is the case what is the point of FWH instead of adding at the beginning of the boil? I read somewhere that the aromatic oils have a better chance to break down and dissolve in the wort so they don’t evaporate off during the boil as much.

If this is the case what is the point of FWH instead of adding at the beginning of the boil? I read somewhere that the aromatic oils have a better chance to break down and dissolve in the wort so they don’t evaporate off during the boil as much.[/quote]

FWH isn’t completely understood, but what you say is basically correct. Somehow, the flavor components are “fixed” by steeping in hot wort.