First Wort Hopping

If I understand correctly, First Wort Hopping is when you take your Aroma hops, and put them in your mash or sparge… Is this correct? Has anybody here done this? if so, what is the advantage?

Thanks

Paul

http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/05/09 ... t-hopping/

People swear by it. I have not tried it.

I don’t put FWT in my mash; when running off from my mash tun into the boil kettle, I usually add an ounce of whatever hop I’m using into the kettle…typically a one hop beer brewer…

I like it, so i do it; Ive read somewhere that “there was a more refined hop aroma”, or something when adding FWT; most people comment that my beer is good; if they don’t like it, they at least pretend it’s good.

Yup. You put the hops into the kettle while running off. I do this regularly on my hop forward beers. I’d say that it adds more of a hop flavor than aroma. I like to replace most of my 15 min additions with FWH. The flavor of the hops really come through in my beers, now if only I could get a huge hop aroma, I’d be all set.

OK, thanks! I may try that soon.

Paul

Dry hop. A lot! Adds great flavor and aroma.

Dry hop. A lot! Adds great flavor and aroma.[/quote]

I wish it were that easy!! I’m talking HUGE hop aroma. I’ve gone up to 4 oz of dry hop (5 gals.) and I still don’t think I got what I should have out of it. Lately I’ve been playing with my water in hopes of hop bombing my nose, haha.

Have you tried whole hops for dry hopping? That’s what I do. At least when I have them. I prefer whole hops to pellet for dry hopping.

[quote=“paultuttle”]If I understand correctly, First Wort Hopping is when you take your Aroma hops, and put them in your mash or sparge… Is this correct? Has anybody here done this? if so, what is the advantage?

Thanks

Paul[/quote]

Not quite…in FWH, you use what would be the flavor hops and add them to the kettle as you run off your mash. You get no aroma from them. IMO, you get a bitterness from them equal to what you get from a 20 min. addition.

I have been calculating my FWH additions for a 60 min boil and the taste seems to come out really close. It seems hard to agree on this technique but I like the results.