First time Yeast starter question(s)

I’m about to make a yeast starter for the first time. I have a 1000 mL beaker. My questions should be relatively easy for those more experienced than myself.
1.)Am I correct in assuming I can place the beaker right on the stove top (gas range) to boil my wort?
2.)After swirling, cooling the wort should I place it in the fridge until I brew the primary batch tomorrow or is leaving the yeast at room temp more advantageous for their reproduction?
Finally, 3.) Do I pitch the whole starter batch into the primary or can I reserve some? If I can reserve some, how long should it keep (Wyeast Scottish Ale smack pack) in the fridge?
Thanks for reading and all feedback/ opinions you can relay.

I wouldn’t advise using the beaker on the stove only because the time I did that I was unable to stir properly and keep boiling over now matter where I had heat setting.(Gas Stove).

Also you’ll want to keep the starter at room temp. The yeast will reproduce much better at 60-72.

I don’t put my flask directly on the burner, just a little paranoid, and room temp keeps the yeast happy. Be carefull when you agitate the starter. From personal experience I had my first one foam out of a two liter beaker when I gave it a swirl.

I put my flask on the stovetop but I have a 2000ml one and once it gets close I can turn the gas down really low. If you try it keep a towel or potholder on hand to move it quickly it need be.

If it’s a small yeast starter I would just leave it out and pitch it all. Otherwise, you could cool it and then decant the liquid off the top. You do want to leave just enough to be able to shake up the yeast though.

You could keep a little bit back but if you do I’d plan for it and add just a little more wort to the starter to begin with. Should keep for a while and then you’ll need to make another starter to get it back up and going when you’re ready to brew again.

[quote=“JKav23”]I’m about to make a yeast starter for the first time. I have a 1000 mL beaker. My questions should be relatively easy for those more experienced than myself.
1.)Am I correct in assuming I can place the beaker right on the stove top (gas range) to boil my wort?
[/quote]

You can do this, but want to make sure you have some fermcap or something similar, or it unequivocally will boil over (esp with a 1000ml vs. a 2000) and you will have a mess. I personally find it easier to measure out the water in the erlenmeyer flask, then pour it into a kettle/pot for boiling and addition of the DME.

[quote=“JKav23”]
2.)After swirling, cooling the wort should I place it in the fridge until I brew the primary batch tomorrow or is leaving the yeast at room temp more advantageous for their reproduction?[/quote]

agree with above, keep it @ room temp. You may or may not see it krausen as it can happen really quickly with some yeasts.

[quote=“JKav23”]
Finally,3.) Do I pitch the whole starter batch into the primary or can I reserve some? If I can reserve some, how long should it keep (Wyeast Scottish Ale smack pack) in the fridge?[/quote]

Check out mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com and post back if you have questions on how to use either. I can’t get onto it @ work, but in all likelihood, you can reserve some yeast. Not sure which strength Scottish you are brewing, but a 60/- or 70/- would probably be fine with just a vial/smack pack of yeast. That being said, it never hurts to do a starter, so you ensure you have enough active, viable cells.

[quote=“JKav23”]
Thanks for reading and all feedback/ opinions you can relay.[/quote]

:cheers:

Thanks for all the advice. In my zestful approach to making this starter, I did have a boilover and had to wash the flask I had on the stove top. Also, incidentally, two of my burners are out. I read your warnings and just got too excited to heed them. I’ve gotta slow down. Being new to all this, I think that if its not done quickly, it’ll become contaminated and my batch will be ruined and I will be sad. However, on my second attempt, it came out as a creamy, delightful looking layer. I’m doing the Bourbon barrel Porter tomorrow and I want to do it justice giving it the most yeast I can. I thank you for all your words of advice and encouragement. :cry: