First time with hop rhizomes

Leave them and wait patiently, if you don’t see some action after 10-15 day, carefully remove the dirt until you get to the rhizome…. Then you’ll find the rest of the story, wet soggy, will tell you it rotted, bone dry, well needed possibly a drink, too deep… Sneezles61

Sounds good that’s what I’ll do. Here is another picture just shy of 24 hours later. Looks like its starting to take off.

I almost suspect jack and the bean stock was jack and the hop bine!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Sneezles61

1 Like

Here’s an update: Magnum is growing well and one of the Cascade rhizomes finally broke ground. So now 2 of the 4 rhizomes have showing some activity.

Looks like you’ve got things under control. I have a Cascade plant in its third summer that was started from Rhizome. The others were planted last spring from starter plants. They are all now about the same maturity level. As you can see I tried to train the plants to grow horizontally. It worked pretty well last year w/ immature plants. This year they are out of control. Many of the bines are so thick that they can’t be bent to weave them and I’ve resorted to gentle pressure applied by twine ties daily. All of the plants have been turned back on themselves already and three are now being sent back again. One reason for keeping a significant distance between different kinds of plants is that new sprouts pop up from expanding root systems and these will mix together w/no way of knowing which is which. If you trim back to just 2-3 bines from the original rhizome this won’t bother except when new bines pop up within the leaf coverage and you can’t see them. I will be transplanting every other plant next year and rigging up a taller system. I can’t imagine what this will look like when I get back from summer vacation. These things are growing 5 or 6 inches a day. Your plants look good for first year plants.
jdw

Uploading…

Didn’t seem to want my second picture so will try again.

Beautiful plants! I’m also in my third summer. My trellis (picture above in this thread) gives my bines about 17 to 18 feet of climbing space, and with the hot sunny weather we’ve had, they have been growing like crazy. I have 1 Nugget bine that is about 8 inches away from reaching the top wire, and it’s only June 2nd! This means we’re still a little less than 3 weeks away from the summer solstice when they start switching over to putting more energy into growing cones than bines. However, they still do grow vertically some throughout the summer. I am already noticing the appearance of the side bines that will grow the cones. When you do rig up a taller system, I’d give those girls a good 20 feet. It does depend on the variety though. I too have some of the same varieties as you do. Cascade will need the 20 feet. Tettnanger and Goldings give me the impression that they might never reach more than 15 feet. Also, I am discovering that there is quite a lot of difference in hop cone characteristics between varieties. So you might be able to tell them apart even though they intermingle. Some cones are small, fluffy and short. Some are long and dense. Do some observations and take notes and pictures. I bet you will be able to identify each hop variety after a short period of time.

I noticed last year that there was quite a difference in some of the cones by variety. Thanks for the complement, suggestions and the info. The Cascade produced quite well last year. Also got some cones all of the other plants except the two Goldings and neither of those produced at all. Both of the Goldings plants are very robust this year and already beginning to flower. Looks like an early season.