First time w/ LIquid Yeast - is this ok?

Real quick, it was my first time using liquid yeast as opposed to dried. The fermenter bubbled like crazy which I figured is just fine, but after day 2 it looked like this…

Is this normal? I never saw yellow foam coming up out and spilling all over the place. Perhaps dried yeast was not as viable as liquid and this is all par for the course. Thanks!

Blow-off happens sometimes. That needs to be cleaned off, replace airlock with a blow-off tube. Sanitize whatever you put back on.

So all is ok…thanks!

Blow off could also indicate the wort temperature has risen to high. High wort temps can produce some nasty off flavors.
Blow off can also be indicative of to little headspace in the fermentor.

[quote=“flars”]Blow off could also indicate the wort temperature has risen to high. High wort temps can produce some nasty off flavors.
Blow off can also be indicative of to little headspace in the fermentor.[/quote]

Well I do know when I was aerating the batch between two buckets it did built quite a bit of head. I figured that would subside but apparently not. I suppose there isn’t much to do from this point, no?

Right now nothing to do but let the beer finish. The foam from the aeration will subside. What you are seeing now is the krausen that builds up during fermentation.
A 6.5 gallon bucket would be the minimum for a 5 gallon batch. Holding the fermentation temperature in the mid 60° range, with most ale yeasts, will also limit the height of the krausen, but still accomplish a good fermentation.
If your bucket is 6.5 gallons then the krausen height can be a combination of high OG, yeast pitch rate, and fermentation temperature. It is good insurance to have a blow off tube assembled and ready to go.