First time sour

[quote=“grainbelt”]I beleive dushesse is pasturized especcially for how cloying sweet it is.[/quote]Yes, it’s pasteurized and back-sweetened.

Why do dregs over a straight lacto pitch? Save money?

dregs have all kinds of stuff from whatever the brewery uses, adds complexity to your bugs.
Lacto pedio brett they all work in different ways

[quote=“spykeratchet”]Why do dregs over a straight lacto pitch? Save money?[/quote]You get to drink the beer and you’re adding a known good (assuming you like what you drink) mix of bugs.

I know that you need a separate set of everything plastic to work with sours. What about the better bottle? If you put a sour in a better bottle, can you do a normal beer in there afterwards without it souring?

Racked to secondary or bottles or keg. Bottling at that gravity with a sour is bottle bombs waiting to happen. If you just racked to secondary that would be fine plenty of bugs in there[/quote]

Racked to secondary. Yeah there was a huge amount of yeast and trub in the primary. I am a believer that lambics stay on the dregs, flanders don’t. But I am basing that on commercial processes and not experience.

[quote=“spykeratchet”]If you put a sour in a better bottle, can you do a normal beer in there afterwards without it souring?[/quote]Assuming you have not scratched the BB with a wire brush, yes, it can be used again after a sour beer. Do a 24-hr, strong PBW (or similar) soak to destroy all the organics and then fill with StarSan and let it soak for at least a couple of minutes. If you really want to be sure, mix the StarSan at 2x strength (it is a sterilizer like this).

Just wanted to point out that Better Bottles should not be soaked in PBW for longer than 8 hours, as per the manufacturer. Otherwise the plastic can crack. Further reading can be found here:

http://www.better-bottle.com/pdf/Washin ... gStudy.pdf

I’ve use better bottles for years, and as long as you take care of them properly, they’ll last forever. I personally would designate a better bottle for only sours, as there is a small possibility that the bacteria will entrench themselves in microabrasions in the plastic. Personally, I plan on getting a glass carboy, and then when I’m done with the souring, I’ll take it into my lab and autoclave it. Being a biochemist does have its perks.

Enjoy.

I have before without any cross contamination, although I keep most of my BB seperated.
The only ones I have done sour and clean beers in are really new ones.
As stated leaving cleaner in BB for an extended period of time can cause them to crack. I have only had it crack once and it was one a 6 year old better bottle that I soaked numerous times for an extended period with oxy clean and pbw.

[quote=“Guskoff”]Just wanted to point out that Better Bottles should not be soaked in PBW for longer than 8 hours, as per the manufacturer. Otherwise the plastic can crack.[/quote]If that’s the manufacturer’s recommendation, go with it, but I’ve left PBW in mine for several days at a time and have yet to see any cracks.

Its really not an instantaneous thing. I think it takes time for it to happen, like on mine it was on a pretty old better bottle. I think it started from the outside where more of the scrapes are and worked its way in. I let mine soak in a utility sink and sometimes the outside gets wet from cleaner where scratches are from sitting on floors or being dragged. Once that cleaner gets inside crack which are more common to the outside bottom it slowly starts working
When it happend to me the crack was so small you could hardly see it and the leak was very slow.