First time making wine

Can I use booze bottles to bottle my wine, if so should I use corks or can I use the screw tops from the bottles. Also the kits says to use 1/4 teaspoon of metabisulphite powder to prevent oxidation if you want to age your wine more than 6 months. Some my be in the bottle for more than 1 year, because I want to give them for Christmas gift. I am making Winexpert- Selection International- Chilean Cardonnay.

You can use any type of bottle you like. You can cork the bottles - assuming the neck is a similar diameter as a wine bottle, or you can use a screw cap - your choice.

I’d say the extra sulphite step here is up to you. The wine should be fine for a year no problem. I really only add extra to reds I plan to age for several years. At the same time, making the addition can never really hurt.

From my understanding, winex assumes adding extra (usually to reds) when you don’t even touch your first bottle for 6-8 months, and intend to keep the wine around for several years. This might just be my own interpretation of their meathod, but it is fairly common practice.

Either or seems like the simple answer here. Don’t see it making a huge difference either way.

But when the instructions say to stir vigorously to degass the wine, that is where you should listen to what they are saying.

"
“But when the instructions say to stir vigorously to degass the wine, that is where you should listen to what they are saying.”

Not getting all technical here, but could you pull and hold a vacuum on the wine for 24 hrs., and achieve the same results?

Wine newbie here.

Light strike is a real concern. Unless its going to be stored on complete darkness, clear bottles would not be the ideal choice.

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”]"
“But when the instructions say to stir vigorously to degass the wine, that is where you should listen to what they are saying.”

Not getting all technical here, but could you pull and hold a vacuum on the wine for 24 hrs., and achieve the same results?

Wine newbie here.[/quote]

Vacuum extraction is definately a meathod which gets results as far as degassing goes. However, for wine on premise operations Tim from winex has recomended strongly against it. I really did not buy his reasoning though. My suspicion is the guy has some major stock in the company that makes wine whips. Vacuum away.

Thank you, Sir!