First time making a starter

I hope I did this right I mesured out 1 cup of dme to 1400 ml of water boiled it for 15 min. and added to smack packs of yeast it ended up being about 1150 ml I’m using it for a 1.086 brew any comments would help being my first starter

Yep sounds right. Are you planning on pitching the whole starter or crashing/decanting?

What size batch and which yeast?

decanting, and it’s the 1272 american ale II 5 gallon extract kit actually its the west coast imperial ipa from nb

That seems like too much DME for a starter, but I’m not certain cause I weigh the DME. There’s too much variability in volume measurements. Anybody know what a cup of DME weighs?

I think a cup of DME is about 6 oz., which is about what I use in a 1500 ml starter. At least when I do the math conversion on NB’s priming calculator, that’s what I get. Seems like I read somewhere that 4 oz/liter was normal for a starter?

Ron

smack packs?
Did you make a starter from more than one package?

[quote=“Frenchie”]I think a cup of DME is about 6 oz., which is about what I use in a 1500 ml starter. At least when I do the math conversion on NB’s priming calculator, that’s what I get. Seems like I read somewhere that 4 oz/liter was normal for a starter?

Ron[/quote]

I use 3 oz./qt. for a 1.035ish starter.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“Frenchie”]I think a cup of DME is about 6 oz., which is about what I use in a 1500 ml starter. At least when I do the math conversion on NB’s priming calculator, that’s what I get. Seems like I read somewhere that 4 oz/liter was normal for a starter?

Ron[/quote]

I use 3 oz./qt. for a 1.035ish starter.[/quote]

Thanks, Denny. Looks like I’ll be saving a little DME in the future!

I hope you cooled the wort before adding the smack packs?