First time lager

Couple questions…

I plan on dropping the wort to pitch temp (48). Do I add full shot of 02 at pitch time or do I add O2 right after filling fermenter?

Second my planned fermentation schedule is as follows… 48 deg for 10 days raise to about 52 for 48 hours raise to 58 for 48 hours (D rest). Rack to secondary. Lager @ 38 for 6 weeks. Keg and enjoy.

Anyone have any issues with Saflager W-34/70?

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/mybock

When you raise your temp, do it slowly. Maybe a degree or two a day until you hit your desired temp.

I’d add the O2 right before pitching. Otherwise it’d have more time to equilibrate with the air O2 level. I don’t think it’ll matter too much though, especially if theres not much head space above the beer in the fermentor.

I know people ferment lagers as low as 48F but is there a reason you are choosing this temp? Seems like its lower end. I know AB ferments Bud at 55F.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]I’d add the O2 right before pitching. Otherwise it’d have more time to equilibrate with the air O2 level. I don’t think it’ll matter too much though, especially if theres not much head space above the beer in the fermentor.

I know people ferment lagers as low as 48F but is there a reason you are choosing this temp? Seems like its lower end. I know AB ferments Bud at 55F.[/quote]

A homebrewer who I know to be a knowledgable and talented cat suggested it. He said raising it a few degrees toward the end of primary gets the little buggers ready for diacetyl rest. Then lagers at 38 for 6 - 8 weeks. He admitted to me that 6 usually is where he stopped.

I’ve always done a D-rest at 65*F. I’m thinking I read somewhere that it had to be in the 60’s to get rid of diacetyl. Also raise to D-rest temp when you’re about 80% finished with fermentation, it can be a free rise. You’ll want to lower the temp slowly if you do so before reaching final gravity otherwise crash to lager temp.