Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

First time growing!

So it’s my first time growing hops, and I just ordered some chinook, centennial, and willamette rhizomes. Since I live in southern California, I have a feeling that summer time may be treacherous. Any one out there have any advice they can send my way? With anything from planting to maintaining or anything else?

Cheers and thanks.

Make sure they get enough water.

I am also from la county and i have a willamette that i planted on march 10th and it has only grown 2 inches. So do not panic when you think your willamette is dead when compared to the growth progress of your other hops.

+1 WATER. Put multch over the beds to retain water, shed leaves up about a foot to prevent mold and such. water.

When you say shed leaves? You mean like crumbling them up and piling them a foot from the base of the bines? I haven’t planted them yet because I want to make sure that I get it right.

When you say shed leaves? You mean like crumbling them up and piling them a foot from the base of the bines? I haven’t planted them yet because I want to make sure that I get it right.[/quote]

I’m guessing he meant “shred” leaves. You can mulch around your hops with shredded leaves (free mulch) or a store bought. I personally use straw, and love it.

Nope he means strip the leaves over the lower part of the bine to help improve airflow. At least I think that’s what he meant! :cheers:

+1

Just wondering how often you guys are watering your first year hops. Once a week, twice a week, or a each day.

I always jam a finger in to the ground and if it feels dry, I water. Its best to do this first thing in the morning as watering in the evening can cause various issues with plants.

i haven’t watered mine yet. it still gets into the 40’s here at night and it rains enought to keep my multch damp.

I assume you’re refering to fungus and mold that can grow on damp plants? If we “shed the bottom 1’ of leaves” like pashusa suggests and only water the hill at the base of the plant (keeping the leaves dry) should watering at night still be a concern?

I assume you’re refering to fungus and mold that can grow on damp plants? If we “shed the bottom 1’ of leaves” like pashusa suggests and only water the hill at the base of the plant (keeping the leaves dry) should watering at night still be a concern?[/quote]
only if it still gets cold at night there. but i doubt it unless you are in the not country like Duluth MN. IT IS STILL DROPPING TO THE 40’S HERE IN SOUTHERN MN.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com