First time co2 leak

Had my first co2 bottle leak to the point of being empty today. Not 100% sure where its leaking. I had just got a new bottle maybe a month ago. I’m wondering if it could be the nylon washer that goes in between the bottle and the regulator. I have never replaced that and I think I’m on my 5 or 6 different tank. Should I try to replace that first? Also, does anyone know where besides NB that sells those washers? I dont have a LHBS to go to. I was thinking about asking the place that refills my co2 if they sell those.

The other weird thing was that one keg still had pressure in it. They other didnt. Could that mean that that keg is leaking? It may be the pressure release valve. I know in the past that has leaked but I usually hear it and am able to wiggle it to make it stop.

You are most likely looking at a bad nylon washer. If you are on your 5th or 6th tank of co2 and have never changed that washer, I think you’ve nailed the problem. I change my washer every time I swap co2 tanks (and while I certainly would not speak for other folks on the forum here, would venture they do the same).

Replace that first. Next time you make an order, buy a dozen or whatever of them. But I would think that a welding place would might have those washers, too.

Good luck.

I change my CO2 bottle once a leak. My current bottle has held up for about 5 more corney kegs than I thought it would. I just pushed 2 kegs up to 30 lbs today to force carb them. I am of the mindset that this CO2 fill will never run out.

[quote=“Positive Voodoo”]You are most likely looking at a bad nylon washer. If you are on your 5th or 6th tank of co2 and have never changed that washer, I think you’ve nailed the problem. I change my washer every time I swap co2 tanks (and while I certainly would not speak for other folks on the forum here, would venture they do the same).

Replace that first. Next time you make an order, buy a dozen or whatever of them. But I would think that a welding place would might have those washers, too.

Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks for the help. I’m for sure gonna buy a bunch the next time I place an order. I wish I would of done it sooner. Would of saved me 12 bucks for another refill.

unless the washer is cracked or otherwise compromised, i think you should first rule out your leaky keg pressure release valve or leaky line to the keg that wasn’t full. i mean, a washer will cost 10c, but i’m not sure you’d have one full keg if there was co2 leaking out of the beginning of the gas train.

also - no LBHS store in Duluth? i now have a backup plan.

I can sympathize with you. I went downstairs the other day to find my 5lb tank completely empty. All i had used it for was to force carb a keg. I only wish it was 12 bucks here to get them filled, i pay 28.

[quote=“baileyjoe”]unless the washer is cracked or otherwise compromised, i think you should first rule out your leaky keg pressure release valve or leaky line to the keg that wasn’t full. i mean, a washer will cost 10c, but i’m not sure you’d have one full keg if there was co2 leaking out of the beginning of the gas train.

also - no LBHS store in Duluth? i now have a backup plan.[/quote]

I agree that there maybe more than just that washer leaking. The washer did look to have some cracking on the edge. I am for sure hoping to get a new washer and then still check for leaks. Getting a refill today.

Well, if anyone cares I think I have it fixed for now. The place I get my co2 gave me a free washer when they found out it was only .10. Once I got home and hooked it up I could tell there was a leak some where besides that washer. Narrowed it down to the keg that didnt have any pressure that day I found the empty tank. It looks like it was the pressure release valve. I wiggled it alittle and it stop leaking. Looks like I’ll be needing a new valve. I had this happen to a different keg before.

I keep a spray bottle of water with a few drops of dish soap. Everytime I tap a keg, I spray over the fittings. Follow the bubbles to your leak & walla. I had similar issues with the first few. I had bought some reconditioned soda kegs & had to replace some of the fittings.

Unless the PRV is cracked, it may just need a new seal.