First time brewing questions

Hi everyone, on Sunday 6/9 I brewed my first batch of NB Irish Red Ale. Everything went fine with the exception of a slight boil over. Anyway my question is regarding fermentation. So when I woke up this morning and checked on my beer, it had foamed up into the airlock. I followed the instructions and connected the siphon hose to the airlock and let it finish foaming. When it seemed done I sanitized my airlock and put it back on. Everything appears fine but I’m worried about contamination and if the beer is fermenting properly. The bubbles have slowed but are still noticeable. Is there anyway to tell or do I have to wait to taste the beer before I know?

As long as you sanitized everything you shouldn’t have any issues with contamination with blowouts. Bubbling in the airlock will slow down after a few days that is normal. Taking a gravity reading is the only way to tell you if fermentation is actually over or not. Gravity readings will tell you the most and I always taste the samples I take out to see how things are progressing, however I normally don’t check till after a week or so but that’s just me. Be patient your brew should be fine. I know the first one can be nerve racking while waiting.

Most likely you are fine like jethro said. You can run into trouble if you have an insect problem. Fruit flies, nats, ants all could ruin a beer.

To minimize blow offs, try to keep your temps down. I like the mid/low 60’s. See my signature line for ideas.

You don’t need to start with an airlock and then add a blow off. Use a blow off from the start. It’s one big airlock. The bigger hose you use the better.

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/bbbot.html

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Most likely you are fine like jethro said. You can run into trouble if you have an insect problem. Fruit flies, nats, ants all could ruin a beer.

To minimize blow offs, try to keep your temps down. I like the mid/low 60’s. See my signature line for ideas.

You don’t need to start with an airlock and then add a blow off. Use a blow off from the start. It’s one big airlock. The bigger hose you use the better.

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/bbbot.html[/quote]

Thanks for your input! I have the one gallon starter kit and I don’t think they make blow off’s for that size fermenter. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind when I upgrade.

Thank you! I haven’t purchased a hydrometer yet, but I’ll look into one. It seems like thats the next step lol.

[quote=“marty717”]

Thanks for your input! I have the one gallon starter kit and I don’t think they make blow off’s for that size fermenter. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind when I upgrade.[/quote]

IMO if there ever was a size you need a blow off for that is it.

you can make your own. Others may be able to elaborate on better options but I think you can either:

1. Buy a stopper that fits the 1 gallon jub and drill your own hole then buy hose size that would match
  2. I think you can also buy a hose that is the size of the opening of the jug and do that (although I like the stopper idea more because when you put the stopper in, it squeezes the tube better IMO).

I think there are very cheap solutions to making your own blow off tube, and for 1 gallons would never use anything but.