Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

First time brewing qestion about bottling

I just bottled my first batch and used the star San Sanitizer and dipped the bottles in and let them sit submerged for 30 sec. The took them out and let them sit on a sanitzed drying rack until they were dry but noticed that there were still some bubles left in all the bottles. There was no liquid left but just bubbles. Is this normal? And is this harmful to my beer or me? Like I said there wasn’t any liquid and I let them air dry for about 10 to 15 min uoside down so all the liquid ran out. Just don’t want to poison my self lol.

Don’t fewer the foam, your good.

+1 and don’t fear the foam either.

I find the foam irritating, especially in the carboys, but it’s formulated to be safe in these quantities, so no worries.

Starsan is a wet sanitizer. If the bottles actually become dry the Starsan is no longer effective. Drain and fill while the inside of the bottle still looks wet.
When I fill with the bottling wand the Starsan bubbles are floated out of the bottle.

[quote=“flars”]Starsan is a wet sanitizer. If the bottles actually become dry the Starsan is no longer effective. Drain and fill while the inside of the bottle still looks wet.
When I fill with the bottling wand the Starsan bubbles are floated out of the bottle.[/quote]

I’m not sure this is true. I’ve read and am under the impression that star san leaves a protective layer on the surface even after it dries.

It is definitely a no rinse… so rinsing afterwards renders it ineffective, but letting your bottles dry is just fine.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other?

I think you also need to look at your process of drying. If the bottles are turned upside down while drying, you’re safe. Bacteria is airborne and won’t crawl upwards. The caveat to this being if they are stored in a very drafty area I supposed its possible something could get blown into the bottle but chances are very slim

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com