Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

First time all grain, simple question

As i make this recipe, I am swapping out the 6.6lbs of LME with Briess 2-row. That is the change for doing the all-grain version. what do I do next?

Meaning, do I mash the 9.9lbs of 2-row to make wort and then steep the specialty grains?

Or do I steep the grain in a separate pot and combine it with the wort?

This is why I ask, as I am sure I have it backwards. My final thought is to steep the specialty grains first in the 1.25gal of water called for, then add in the 2-row, water, and mash from there.

Feels like I am over complicating this. I can post the whole recipe if needed.

just throw them in with the mash. what needs to come out of them will come out

Well that works! What about the timing? Throw them in for the whole hour, or the last 30? Heh, or the first 30 and remove?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When you do a full mash / all-grain, you mash all of the grains together, including base malts and specialty malts, all for the full mash time. An hour is typical for the mash; however, I have run a lot of experiments and have proved that a 40-minute mash at 150 F is sufficient for complete conversion and attenuability. Saves 20 minutes of your life on every all-grain batch. From there, you drain and sparge, then bring to a boil, add your hops and brew as normal.

Good luck, if this is your first time. I think you’ll love the result.

40 min. may be sufficient for Dave, but I do 60-90 typically.

I am working on getting this to biab. Also, whole leaf galaxy hops are hard to come by. I need them for dry hopping, 2.5oz. Think I can use pellet hops in a bag? And would the amount change?

Thanks again for the input, im getting excited to brew!

[quote=“tron140”]I am working on getting this to biab. Also, whole leaf galaxy hops are hard to come by. I need them for dry hopping, 2.5oz. Think I can use pellet hops in a bag? And would the amount change?

Thanks again for the input, im getting excited to brew!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk[/quote]

I exclusively use pellets for boil and dry hopping. Leaf hops pretty much suck to work with as they clog everything and absorb/waste a lot of your beer.

[/quote]

I exclusively use pellets for boil and dry hopping. Leaf hops pretty much suck to work with as they clog everything and absorb/waste a lot of your beer.[/quote]

Thank you! I was wondering if there was ever a good reason to use Leaf hops. Apparently not.

If I use a bag, can I suspend it from the bung? I could sanitize some string or some fishing line. Would they change the flavor of the beer?

Any tricks on how to pull the bag back out?

[quote=“Voodoo donut”][/quote]

I exclusively use pellets for boil and dry hopping. Leaf hops pretty much suck to work with as they clog everything and absorb/waste a lot of your beer.[/quote]

Thank you! I was wondering if there was ever a good reason to use Leaf hops. Apparently not.[/quote]
I use primarily leaf hops. They help to act as a filter bed when I drain my kettle, and help prevent getting gunk in my plate chiller. I also just like tossing a handful of hop cones into the boil.

For most people, pellets are a better option. They stay fresh longer, take up less space in the freezer and soak up less beer. But I personally prefer working with leaf.

[quote=“Voodoo donut”][/quote]

Thank you! I was wondering if there was ever a good reason to use Leaf hops. Apparently not.[/quote]

Of course there’s a reason…becasue you want to and the hops are fresh. It all depends on your system, your hop sources, and what you want to do. I use both pellet and whole hops and decide based on which type is freshest and best quality.

Or you have friends who have massive vines of Cascade, Centennial and Zeus hops growing in their backyard… :mrgreen:

[quote=“Denny”]

Of course there’s a reason…becasue you want to and the hops are fresh. It all depends on your system, your hop sources, and what you want to do. I use both pellet and whole hops and decide based on which type is freshest and best quality.[/quote]

Ok, so it comes down to personal preference, aesthetics, working with whole unprocessed/raw materials, availability,etc, I get that. Kind of like homebrewing in general. But is there a situation where leaf/cone hops are Preferable for the quality or specific characteristics of the end product?

I use leaf hops when available because they are easy to filter out when I drain my kettle. I have a stainless steel scrubbing pad over the drain valve and the leaf hops don’t clog it, they just increase the filter to keep trub out of the fermenter. Pellets break down into such tiny particles that some get through the scrubber.

[quote=“Voodoo donut”][quote=“Denny”]

Of course there’s a reason…becasue you want to and the hops are fresh. It all depends on your system, your hop sources, and what you want to do. I use both pellet and whole hops and decide based on which type is freshest and best quality.[/quote]

Ok, so it comes down to personal preference, aesthetics, working with whole unprocessed/raw materials, availability,etc, I get that. Kind of like homebrewing in general. But is there a situation where leaf/cone hops are Preferable for the quality or specific characteristics of the end product?[/quote]

No. Your system’s capabilities and the quality of the hops are the determining factors.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com