First time adding Coriander to Brew - Question

I’m brewing the Petite Saison today (for the second time) and I thought I would add sweet orange peel (which I have done before) and coriander (which I have not done before.

My question is for the Coriander… do I crush it or not? And with either, what amounts should I use. Im making this batch for a family event which are not really beer drinkers, so Im trying to get it mild and fruity- like a Saison meets Blue Moon.

Thanks all

I crush mine with a mortar and pestle. I mostly just crack them open.

I use between 3/4 and 1 oz and I find that works for my tastes. The first time I used it I was a bit afraid and I only used 1/2oz. It got lost and I didn’t really notice anything. Then again, if you can pick it out specifically, you probably used too much. I just happen to really like coriander. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

[quote=“PPDude72”]I crush mine with a mortar and pestle. I mostly just crack them open.

I use between 3/4 and 1 oz and I find that works for my tastes. The first time I used it I was a bit afraid and I only used 1/2oz. It got lost and I didn’t really notice anything. Then again, if you can pick it out specifically, you probably used too much. I just happen to really like coriander. :slight_smile: [/quote]

One more question… when in the boil did you add them? Im thinking 5 minutes remaining.

Thank you

I use 1oz in the last 5 minutes (for 5 gallons). I just crack them as well.

Great, thats what I will do. Thank you

Last 5 minutes or flameout.

Yes, crush it. Add at flameout or even at the end of primary. I don’t remember specific quantities, but I will say this: figure out how much you think you should use, and then… use about half as much. It’s stronger than anyone thinks, a little goes a long way.

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]It’s stronger than anyone thinks, a little goes a long way.[/quote]+1 And, there are two different coriander seeds, one round (American) and one football-shaped (Indian). The Indian is more aromatic and flavorful than the American (which I can’t stand even though I love fresh cilantro).

as a collective whole, you guys on here are amazing. i think I know a lot of stuff, and I have to say many of you trump my knowledge on so many things…

I crack mine by putting them in a ziplock and rolling over them with a pint glass. I like 'em really spiced.

Interesting you say that. I’m growing fresh cilantro this year specifically so I can have coriander seeds to use in my homebrew.

Are you saying the Indian seeds are what we most commonly get in Saisons and Belgians?

What about the American ones do you not like?

[quote=“stompwampa”]Are you saying the Indian seeds are what we most commonly get in Saisons and Belgians? What about the American ones do you not like?[/quote]From what I’ve read, Belgian brewers use the Indian type and my palate agrees. On the flavor difference, I would say it’s similar to comparing English Fuggles to American - there’s a kinship but the American version tastes and smells more like dirt and not nearly as “bright” or as interesting. The aroma of the Indian type makes me want to eat it right out of the mill.

I did an AG BM clone 4/14, and am just tasting it now. Used coriander seeds from my garden, 1.5tsp cracked with a rolling pin in a ziplock. Added at 5 min left in boil. Plus zest and juice from two oranges. To me the flavor is dead-on to BM.

I also toast mine. I don’t know how much it adds but it’s simple enough so why not. Just put it in a dry pan and heat on medium high until you can smell it, about 5 minutes.

From where do you source Indian coriander seeds? I get my spices from Penzeys and The Spice House. Their coriander comes from Canada and Morocco respectively.

I get mine at an Indian grocery store here in Houston (which happens to be very close to my favorite indian/pakistani restaurant in the city - eat first, then buy groceries, including jaggery sugar which works great in my belgian ales).

Not sure where you are in Kansas, but do you have easy access to an Indian grocer? If not, here is an option I found with a quick online search:

http://www.worldspice.com/spices/coriander-seed-indian

I’m sure there are plenty of other online options. Good luck and cheers.

Hmm…that makes me reconsider wanting to use coriander from my herb garden.

I guess it won’t hurt to try it. Either way, beer will be made!

[quote=“stompwampa”]Hmm…that makes me reconsider wanting to use coriander from my herb garden. I guess it won’t hurt to try it. Either way, beer will be made![/quote]For sure try it and see what you think - my palate should not deter you.