Sunday I was brewing an Irish Red and of course was in a hurry. First time ever I was collecting my first runnings and they were super slow and just stopped. Stirred a bit and got a little more and it stopped. No Rye or oats or any type of grain that could normally cause this. I am pretty sure the problem is that the braid I am using just got a kink near the connection to the valve.
Nothing I did would allow proper runoff. I got a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and started putting grains and wort into it using a large measuring cup. What a MESS! When I got enough out, I drained into the pot and then sparged with the brew in bag method, but it was a PIA. Plus, I lost total track of first runnings and what I needed for sparge water and WAY over shot the water quantity.
I was between two different recipes for the Irish Red and one had a OG listed at 1.064 and the other was at 1.044. I ended up at 1.054 with 6.5 gallons in the fermentor instead of my usual 5.3.
Most frustrating brew day in a while. Because I was in a bit of a hurry and lost over an hour dealing with ways to fix things, I ended up doing a “no chill” as the evening air temps dropped pretty cool.
This batch will probably be one of the best ever and I have no way of replicating it exactly, nor would I want to! :cheers: