1lb crystal 10l

2oz Cascade, 60min
2oz Tettanang, 10min
2oz Centennial, 10mim

Target OG 1.045

Ferment with US-05

Thoughts?

Should be a nice hoppy wheat beer.

Is there any reason you want to use a noble hop with american citric hops? I would drop the tet and go with a hop burst schedule of american citrus hops. try additions at 15,10,5,0 and cut your 60 minute addition to .50 oz and use those ibu’s removed from the 60 minute addition to the latter additions. The reason for putting the majority of hops toward the end of the boil is these are the flavor additions, the 60 minute addition is all bittering. you did not list your target IBU’s for your beer, so just distribute equal amounts of hops per addition to get to your target total IBU’s. If you need a free recipe program to help you try brewmate its a free download.

Might want to boost the OG a little if you want an IPA instead of an APA.

shadetree is right the OG should be between 1056-1075.

Thanks all for the thoughts. I wanted willamette hops but the LBHS was out and he told me Tettanang would be a good sub.

What the diff between citrus hops and noble hops?

For the OG, how did you figure the 56-75 range?

Cascade and Centennial are commonly referred to as citrus hops due to the flavor they impart. Noble hops are low acid, aromatic hops from Europe, they’re Tettnanger, Hallertauer, Spalt, and Saaz. The Tettnanger hop flavor will likely be subdued by the C hops in your recipe.

I’ll drink to that recipe. However I too would jack up the OG a bit. Otherwise it is just an APA, not an IPA.

[quote=“stompwampa”]Thanks all for the thoughts. I wanted willamette hops but the LBHS was out and he told me Tettanang would be a good sub.

What the diff between citrus hops and noble hops?

For the OG, how did you figure the 56-75 range?[/quote]

1.056-1.075 are the style OG for american IPA’s

Thanks all, for the thoughts.

Going to swap out the 2oz Tettnang with another ounce each of cascade and centennial.

Already have the grains measured and crushed, so this might be more of a Pale Wheat instead of a Wheat IPA…kinda depends on how efficient we are with the mash.

Bookmark this site:
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/
It gives you the parameters of every style.

I wouldnt worry about gravity and style so much unless you are entering comps.
THe hop substitute I would do.

I would up the hops get your bittering you want and up the addition 5 min and under

[quote=“Glug Master”]Bookmark this site:
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/
It gives you the parameters of every style.[/quote]

Or the 2008 guidelines are even better:

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/catdex.php

wheat has a tendency to cause stuck sparges you may want to add rice hulls to avoid this.

With >50% husked grains, I think he’ll be okay. It’s rye, oats, and corn grits that you need to watch out for in my experience.

better to throw a couple handfulls of rice hulls in then deal with a stuck sparge

Thank everyone for all the great feedback. After a trip to the LBHS to get different hops, they were out of Cascade and Centennial.

We picked up 2oz of Willamette instead and followed the advice above to change the hopping schedule.

This is what the final recipe turned into:

Pale Wheat Ale

• 8lb 2-Row[/*]
  • 8lb White Wheat[/*]
  • 1lb Caramel 10l[/*]
  • 1oz Centennial, 60 Min[/*]
  • 2tsp Irish Moss, 15 Min[/*]
  • 1oz Centennial, 15 Min[/*]
  • 2 oz Cascade, 10 Min[/*]
  • 2 oz Willamette, 10 Min[/*]

We ran into a couple small hiccups. 1st, we forgot to add our brew salts to the mash water, bringing our efficiency down to only 68% (Hoping for 85%). This put our OG at 1.045 - we we now have a Pale Wheat instead of a Wheat IPA.

Second was a stuck mash - twice. On both the mash and sparge. This could be from the wheat (as someone above pointed out) but we also have a pretty crappy braid in our mashtun. Been meaning to rebuild it for a while. Now we will!

At the end of brewday, we have a bright yellow colored beer. The brew day taste was obviously very sweet pre-frementation, but there was definitely some lingering bitterness on the finish.

As Dave said before, “I’ll drink to that!”

And we will.

Cheers! :cheers:

I’m sure you made beer :smiley: . I always throw a couple hand full of rice hulls with wheat. you got through it and now you just got to wait for fermentation to finish. the wait can be hard. congradulation.

Meh. Not according to the pile of homebrews I have to drink yet!

The wait is far worse when you have no stockpile!

told ya always throw a couple handfulls of rice hulls when ealing with wheat, rye etc…

Adding brewing salts I assume to correct ph a little? I doubt it would almost give you a 15% jump in efficiency