First Post + Whitbier Question

Hey everyone, my name is Jim and I’m located in West Michigan. I just finished moving the wife and kiddo back to MI from CO as we are expecting another daughter in August!

I’ve been brewing for about 6 months. I did an extract Pale in the Fall, and a partial mash Stout over Christmas. both turned out great and now I’m hooked.

I just ordered my first real burner off of Amazon.com to get better control of my temps and am considering jumping to a 7 or 8 gallon kettle soon to get away from doing a concentrated wort boil then diluting it.

So enough about me, time for questions.

I’m getting ready to brew another extract kit i received for Christmas. It’s a Whitbier kit. I’m pretty excited about this one as it should make for a great summer drinking beer. I’m even thinking of bottling some of it in PET bottles so I can take them to the beach when it gets nicer out!

My question is, what can I do extra, to make this “kit” really pop? I have heard of people adding lemon or orange zest in the fermentation process. Would anyone suggest doing this? Or perhaps Coriander? I have also heard mixed results with the later idea. As for my taste, I’m a hoppy beer guy. I love my IPA’s. I “grew” (in beer terms) going to Western Michigan University, 2 miles from Bells. So I’m not too picky about beers that aren’t that style. Basically I’m open to ideas. If this were an IPA I’d be digging and digging for the perfect mix of additives and recipes and so on.

So any ideas are welcome! I’m open to trying new things with this kit. I’ll be checking back to this thread throughout the week, so hopefully people help out hahahaha

one more thing. I’m anxious to brew this beer. Wife is out of town for work, so it will give me something to do. BUT. My burner isn’t arriving until next week. Should I wait? I could do it on our apartments electric stove? As much as I want to get this going, maybe I should wait till next week. Though, if I do get this going by the end of the week, it could be a great 4th of July beer…

Sorry to ramble.

Thanks for any help!!! :cheers:

I made a Kiwi wit several years ago. Pureed the fruit and added as a “secondary”, post fermentation. You can add it to the primary carboy if you are not wanting to save the yeast. It’s expensive, about 4lbs are needed for 5 gallons. If you have a Sam’s or Cosco you can save a little buying the fruit there.

Lemon or Orange would be good. Similar to Summer Shandy. You could do the full fruit post fermentation also.

Coriander, go light. A little to much could overpower the beer.

If you can get an good boil going on the stove, do it now while you have the free time. With one on the way, the wife may not like the smell of the boiling wort/hops.

Do you have a wort chiller for the full boil? Or are you thinking of doing a “no chill”?

If I used orange zest, would I use it at the same time as you did with the Kiwi? Secondary Ferm?

aah yes, this is probably my answer. How much orange zest would I need, roughly? I’ve heard some people mention using the zest from 5 oranges?

Roger.

Probably a good call. We jsut finished moving, and last night I checked the box for the kit, and it wasn’t there. So, it could be in another box, blah blah blah, I’m probably going to buy another kit. I’d hate to find this whitbier kit in time to brew for fall… eeesh.

Once I get into full boils I’m going to get a wort chiller. Bells General Store has one pretty cheap, 50 bucks I think

I agree with Nighthawk. I’ve the zest from four oranges in 10 gals. 2oz in the boil at 5 mins., and 2oz in the keg. It came through nicely.
Chamomile is also great in a wit, as is peppercorns.

Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Like mrv stated, zest is usually added in the boil. But you could “dry hop” with it post fermentation.

I was actually thinking about adding the fruit to the fermenter. Removing as much of the pith as you can. Smashing to expose as much ‘meat’ as you can. Just taking a guess, maybe 4-5 oranges.

[quote=“mrv”]I agree with Nighthawk. I’ve the zest from four oranges in 10 gals. 2oz in the boil at 5 mins., and 2oz in the keg. It came through nicely.
Chamomile is also great in a wit, as is peppercorns.

Welcome to the forum. :cheers: [/quote]

Thanks, glad to he beer! (oops)

noob question. 2 oz at 5 mins into boil? or 5 left?

I’m doing a 5 gal batch. Too much zest a bad thing? Or should i cut that 4 oranges in half?

Thanks!!!

5 minutes left

[quote=“WestMichiganJim”]

Thanks, glad to he beer! (oops)

noob question. 2 oz at 5 mins into boil? or 5 left?

I’m doing a 5 gal batch. Too much zest a bad thing? Or should i cut that 4 oranges in half?

Thanks!!![/quote]

Times are almost always noted from how long the item is in the boil. 60/90 being the beginning. 0 being at flame out.

Like they said, 5 mins left. You can overdo any additions in a wit. Subtle flavors are excellent IMO. With the wheat and yeast, you’ll have a nice summer beer.

Any additions should enhance, not overpower. If you’re going for a specific flavor(kiwi, pineapple, orange, etc.), that’s up to personal taste.