Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

First Post, First Brew, ramble

Greetings,

This is my first post on the forum after much lurking. I thought I would share my experience with my first brew and my thoughts on beer in general after said brew. I purchased a basic starter kit in January with an American Wheat Beer Extract kit. I brewed the AWB and really enjoyed the process of brewing and learning more about beer. I added 1 lb. of honey at flame out, but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. I initially thought 5 gallons of beer would be too much for me to consume on my own (as my wife doesn’t particularly share my taste in beer). I quickly found that this beer was so good that I had been through half of my batch in a very short time. I had to force myself to find other beer to drink to make this batch last. In the past two weeks, I’ve started trying as many different styles as I possibly can. I have also order my next two batches to brew: an amber ale extract with a few tweaks of my own to experiment, and another batch of the AWB because I just love that recipe. After trying a respectable number of other beers in recent weeks, I still find myself coming back to this AWB. I think my plan from now on will be to just order a batch of that beer every time I place on order. After I brew the amber and the second batch of AWB, I plan to try the Grateful Dead Guy extract kit group. As far as commercial beers available in my area, I think Rogue Dead Guy is my personal favorite. Anyway, I just thought I would share my first brewing experience and general thoughts on beer with other beer lovers. Cheers.

It’s nice to have a house beer and there’s nothing wrong with brewing it over and over and over again if you like it. Right now ours is The Innkeeper.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you’re hooked. Alternating between brews and having a house brew like your AWB are both excellent practices. My wife started out liking Americna wheat, I’ve got her drinking German and Belgian Wheat beers now as well as cream ale. My own two are British bitter and American pale ale. But I also brew lots of different things for fun.

Weclome. As a new brewer, I share your issue of having to force myself to make the beer last! I usually finish all that I have before I can get the next batch ready to drink( see below.) I guess I’m either going to have to show more constraint or start brewing more often!
:cheers:

Welcome to the obsession! That American Wheat [extract] is a great kit. I also keep coming back to it. I have one ready to be keg’d and another on deck to be brew’d. I like to use the Weihenstephan yeast and try to bring out strong banana and moderate clove flavors/aromas.
Happy Brewing!
:cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com