First Perry

Has anyone tried the Juice & Strain Method to make a Perry?

I have several bushels of inedible pears that cook up fine, but can’t be eaten raw for all the tannin. I’m looking to make a 5 gallon batch this year.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, isn’t that what this method is for specifically?

BTW, jealous as all hell. Good perry is frigging amazing. (love me some sorbitol!)

I’ve never made a perry yet but I imagine it will be AWESOME. Let us know how it turns out!

Its seriously to the point where I informed my wife that we will be buying/planting a pear tree at our new house. Its just a matter of what variety now.

My son-in-law planted two pear trees a couple of years ago that had grafts so that each tree had three different pears. He did the same thing a couple of years before that with two apple trees.

I’ve done grafting of apples. I must be doing something wrong because I have only had about a 25% success rate. But I do have 4 apples on one tree now. You could indeed try the same with a pear tree if you don’t want more than one tree. They need cross-pollination somehow anyway, so otherwise you need at least 2 different varieties. Bosc is one of the most interesting pears I have tasted. I don’t know anything at all about perry pears.

Do you know what type of pears you have? Was researching some for my mini orchard at our new house and came upon this place for trees:

http://www.cumminsnursery.com/pear.htm

I got two of my apple trees from Cummins. They’re good smart people. Experts. Doctors, even.

[quote=“Pietro”]Do you know what type of pears you have? Was researching some for my mini orchard at our new house and came upon this place for trees:

http://www.cumminsnursery.com/pear.htm[/quote]

They look like BLAKENEY RED, but are larger.

I successfully juiced and strained 5 gallons of pear cider. I could easily have made 15 gallons more. Tasted really good as fresh pear juice. I may just have to keep some fresh in the fridge too. OG was 1.043 after pasteurization at 160 ºF. Cooled to 80º and added 2.5 tsp of pectic enzyme and stirred. Let it cool further outside for several hours and pitched a pack of Nottingham dry yeast at 65º.

It ended up great! I bottled 5 gallons in bombers and 5 gallons kegged. The main take away was not to let the pears get soft. They are too hard to juice when soft.