First Lager: stressing

Good morning,
Saturday evening, I brewed NB’s Czech Pilsner Extract kit. Two days previous, I made a yeast starter with Saflager S-23 Lager Yeast using 16 oz. water and 1 cup DME. The starter “started” up fine in a room that stays @ 64 F. Bubbling had pretty much ceased and there was plenty of mini yeast cake visible. I pitched the starter after the wort reached @ 65 F. I did aerate the wort by the old shaking method: sloshing the closed fermenting bucket for 5-10 minutes or until my back spasms. The primary has been in a basement corner that maintains 50 F day and night. I have seen no activity as of 6 AM today. I checked the seals on the bucket lid and the fermentation lock.
Is there anything I may have overlooked?
I appreciate any help.
ET

I have two lagers going now in primary, but had huge starters and to date neither one is producing enough C02 to overwhelm the lack of a bucket seal and make the airlock perk. But if I crack the lid, both are actively fermenting. So I close it back up, refill my beer glass and watch some tv. I will check them again in a few weeks.

[quote=“Eastern Tenderfoot”]Good morning,
Saturday evening, I brewed NB’s Czech Pilsner Extract kit. Two days previous, I made a yeast starter with Saflager S-23 Lager Yeast using 16 oz. water and 1 cup DME. The starter “started” up fine in a room that stays @ 64 F. Bubbling had pretty much ceased and there was plenty of mini yeast cake visible. I pitched the starter after the wort reached @ 65 F. I did aerate the wort by the old shaking method: sloshing the closed fermenting bucket for 5-10 minutes or until my back spasms. The primary has been in a basement corner that maintains 50 F day and night. I have seen no activity as of 6 AM today. I checked the seals on the bucket lid and the fermentation lock.
Is there anything I may have overlooked?
I appreciate any help.
ET[/quote]

You don’t need a starter with dry yeast, most consider it counter productive. I’d throw in another pack of yeast.

Just over 48hrs? I bet it will take off soon.

Have you actually opened the lid to see if a krausen has formed?

It wouldn’t hurt to stop by the store and pick up another pack. Rehydrate it but not “starter” needed.

Someone with some DME on hand correct me, I figured 16oz water/1c of DME will yield a gravity of ~1.090. Given 1/2c DME ~2oz

. And 16oz is ~.47 liters.

http://www.yeastcalc.com/indexupdate.html

Thanks folks.
I haven’t opened the bucket to check. I will this afternoon after
I drop in to NB on the way home from work for another packet of yeast.