Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

First kegged beer - off flavor question

I have a Zombie Dust pale ale clone i kegged 3 weeks ago. I tasted it at 1 week and every 4 days or so after hoping this flavor (and beer) would clear up. I dry hopped it (citra pellets)in a sterilized muslin bag with a marble in it (in the keg) and I just can’t help but think that has something to do with it. This off flavor isn’t entirely awful, it just bad enough to make me want something else to drink. I have read thru JP’s off flavor thing and tried to get a better definition but it seems to be a combo of several aromas—a hint of mold, a dash of vegetal, a bit of popcorn, molded orange…
Anyway, the process of the beer went really well, beer smelled fine as i kegged it (can’t remember tasting it then). First few pours (tastings were a shot glass) were very cloudy (I pretty much expected that) and at 3 weeks it’s still cloudy and still not good…My only other suspect is my brewkettle…it’s enamelware with a dime sized dent that has some exposed metal…i have put off this past weekend’s brew day to wait on a SS kettle.
What are your thoughts??? could it be the hops, enamelware, something else? I ran sanitizer thru the brand new keg and lines

Vegetal would make me think the hops. Maybe you want to get that hop sack out of your keg. Some people will dry hop right in the keg while others are firm believers that dry hopping should happen no more than a few days at most.

Popcorn (or butter flavor if that’s what you mean) says diacetyl which of course is a completely different issue.

I would say maybe it’s still green, but if it’s been cold and in the keg for 3+ weeks, any “green beer” issues would have cleared up, IMO.

You crack me with the flavor descriptors… Summer sausage in the tripel thread and now molded orange… BOTH are new to me. :lol: Molded orange I guess could be medicinal maybe, like baby aspirin? You list moldy twice so I say infected…

What is your wort chilling process? I wonder if you are picking up some funk from your fermenter and maybe wort is going in there a bit higher than it should.

Agree with Dobe, popcorn from diacetyle and the rest very likely from the hops. But bad old moldy cheesy hops, not ones that have been in the keg too long. When I dry hop I suspend them in the keg, and as long as they are fresh, they don’t go vegetable on me even if it takes several months to empty the keg.

The cloudy could also be due to the dry hops; I find that dry hopped beers don’t get as clear as most of my other beers, but they are generally hazy rather than cloudy. Cloudy is one of the classic indicators of an active infection, but if that is the case the off flavors should be getting progressively worse.

What is your wort chilling process? I wonder if you are picking up some funk from your fermenter and maybe wort is going in there a bit higher than it should.[/quote]

chill wort in a bathtub with ice water, takes around 30 mins to get to 70° (i do 2.5 Gallons)…i do dump most of trub from brew kettle in ferm (i leave the very worst looking crap behind) but all the cold break gunk goes in. I’m thinking I may do that differently as well.

I’m still looking at that stupid dent in my pot…

Out on curiosity, how much beer have you pulled from this keg so far? I ask because the first beer or two can often times taste a bit off as you are pulling out the settled yeast.

Those enamel pots are cheap and work great, until you break the finish.
Your description doesn’t sound like iron, though.

Moldy orange makes me think of Citra, but I’m not a big fan :wink:

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]Agree with Dobe, popcorn from diacetyle and the rest very likely from the hops. But bad old moldy cheesy hops, not ones that have been in the keg too long. When I dry hop I suspend them in the keg, and as long as they are fresh, they don’t go vegetable on me even if it takes several months to empty the keg.

The cloudy could also be due to the dry hops; I find that dry hopped beers don’t get as clear as most of my other beers, but they are generally hazy rather than cloudy. Cloudy is one of the classic indicators of an active infection, but if that is the case the off flavors should be getting progressively worse.[/quote]

Same here. I’ve left hops in a keg for a couple of months with no issue, but they were stored sealed and frozen.

Good question. If you’re pulling off a shot glass, you might just be sucking up trub.

hey guys, thanks for all the concern, i do appreciate it.
I’m gonna guess I’ve got maybe two full beers out by now. I was fortunate enough to be able to get an actual ZD while mine is in the keg. Side by side, I can tase and smell the ZD in my clone under the “off-ness”
here’s a thought, I used to bottle condition beer for 3 weeks at room temp…this has been conditioning 3 weeks at 40°…maybe it just needs more time. and yes, there’s tons of citra in this beer. I did enjoy the actual ZD so it’s not the hops that i don’t like.
i’ll pull a full glass tonight and see what i get.
:cheers:

Your chilling process seems sound. FYI I transfer EVERYTHING into the fermenter: hot and cold break, hops, you name it. No issues at all so I wouldn’t worry about that. The exception to the rule is for lagers. I cool to high 48s overnight and rack off prior to pitching.

I hope that the new pint is OK but if it’s funked up you will need to REPLACE stuff since infections cannot typically be removed by cleaning.

I hope that the new pint is OK but if it’s funked up you will need to REPLACE stuff since infections cannot typically be removed by cleaning.[/quote]

:shock: replace stuff? what stuff? why? can’t oxy clean and sanitize? wth?

i just pulled a full glass - i got a roughly 50% reduction in funk smell and taste. At this point the best odor I can use is raw biscuit dough…it’s faint and perhaps fading. The beer is decent but it ain’t winnin’ no contests! It has alcohol in it and goes well with mexican food. :cheers: I would just rather drink it without the biscuit though…this ain’t Bojangles

You guys must be a bunch of “super tasters” I’ve never tasted anything like you describe. My beer is either good, great or freaking nectar of the gods :slight_smile: I’m drinking a “Power Pack Porter” right now that I scorched and it still tastes great.

Happy to read that the beer is getting better! Sounds more or less like a cloudy pint at this point.

The rule of thumb is that plastic and rubber cannot be trusted once an infections occurs but glass and SS is OK with a good cleaning and sterilization.

The rule of thumb is that plastic and rubber cannot be trusted once an infections occurs but glass and SS is OK with a good cleaning and sterilization.[/quote]

whew! plastic i can replace but i just bought those kegs at $70/ea…

thanks

i hope I can get to that point someday…it’s either scald my tastebuds or make better beer…i’m gonna try the latter first

Send them kegs to me for proper disposal… :lol:

IF that keg is infected you will need to break it down, and clean and sterilize it top to bottom. Some would advocate replacing o rings. You might get away with cleaning and an overnight bleaching on everything. Make sure it all dries completely before reassembling.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com