First keg kit questions

Hey everyone,
So, i’m very new to home brewing, but I have already noticed that it really seems like kegging is a pretty smart way to go, but I have a couple questions. Right now I am thinking of just getting one of the basic 5 gallong corny keg w/picnic tap kits, and keeping it in a mini-fridge. Now comes the new guy questions…

Filtration? Is it necessary, or just a nice luxury to have? I mean if I have unfiltered beer on tap, will I need to worry about sediment getting drawn from the keg into the glasses, or will it all just sink to the bottom of the keg and stay there?

Would a beer gun be a good initial investment for when I do want to bottle, or would it be better just to bottle condition part of a batch before it goes into the keg?

I’d also really appreciate any general suggestions for someone just looking to get into the world of kegging…

Thanks!

In my opinion filtration is completely unnecessary. There are all kinds of fining agents you can use (I don’t use any and still get pretty clear beer). But the thing with kegging is once the beer sits in the keg, in a fridge for a little while, the cold will help drop out most of what is floating around. The first 1/2 glass or so of the first 2 or 3 pours may have some yeast and other stuff in it, but that’s it. Just dump the first few ounces and your good. And you don’t have to do it through the entire keg, just the first few pours.

For me, clear beer is just not that important. It’s nice, but not earth shattering if it’s not. I’m much more concerned with the taste.

As for the beer gun, I don’t have one but have used one and it’s pretty cool. If you’re gonna keg anyway and don’t mind dropping another $100 for the gun with accessories (which you do need) then just do it. It beats bottling and saves a ton of time. The only reason that I don’t have one yet is I’ve been purchasing other equipment lately that’s been more important. Example: Immersion chiller, dual pressure CO2 regulator and next will be a Thermapen because I really want a reliable temperature gauge.

IMO, filtration is unnecessary. My beer is crystal clear. Usually I let it sit in secondary for at least 2-3 weeks before transfering to keg. then, by the time it’s carb, it’s clear. first pour is a little cloudy as the sediment that fall out while carbing settles in the kegs divet and is sucked up in the first pour, but the rest is crystal clear.

I occasionally bottle from keg, but all I do is turn the pressure down to about 1-2psi, release the pressure already in the keg, then pour straight into the bottle. This way, the pressure is so low that the beer flows in to the bottle very slowly and no head is formed in the bottle.

cheers.

Thanks for the quick responses! Definitely sounds like I can skip the filtration system for now. I would have never thought about just using the 1-2psi method of bottling either, maybe i’ll see how that works for me first.

Thanks again!

I also feel filtration is unnecessary. You’ll be amazed at what cold crashing and gelatin can do.

As far as filling bottles from a keg goes the “tube in tap” method works great and is very easy to do. I bottle this way for comps and give aways and have had great results.

[quote=“Baratone Brewer”]I also feel filtration is unnecessary. You’ll be amazed at what cold crashing and gelatin can do.

As far as filling bottles from a keg goes the “tube in tap” method works great and is very easy to do. I bottle this way for comps and give aways and have had great results.[/quote]

How exactly is gelatin used in kegging? I have not found a whole lot of information on that. (Or maybe I havent looked hard enough… )

What is the “tube in tap” method? Or is that just another term for one of the other methods mentioned above?

Thanks as always!

[quote=“NewBrew28”] How exactly is gelatin used in kegging? I have not found a whole lot of information on that. (Or maybe I havent looked hard enough… )

What is the “tube in tap” method? Or is that just another term for one of the other methods mentioned above?[/quote]
The gelatin can be added for clarity. You’ll find lots of info on fining with gelatin.

“Tube in tap” method

Got it now, Awesome, thanks!

Ditto Baratone.

I have a 1 micron filter that I only use for competitions. It is a PITA and doesn’t really make a difference, long secondary and cold crash before kegging. Be sure to let the keg condition for a week or 2 before serving and toss the first pint (or drink it, doesn’t taste bad) after that should be clear. If not, add gelatin at kegging on your next batch. The first pint will be mega sludge and the rest will be clear.

Ditto also the tube in tap setup. All of the couterpressure chillers, including beer gun, are unnecessarily complex and expensive. You’ll have a picnic tap anyhow, just shove a bottling wand in it and follow the procedure above. Works like a charm and does not have the varied results that bottle conditioning tends to have. Damned bottlebombs.