First homebrew competition- First Place!

[quote=“MaSheriff”]I plan to get to the point of all-grain, but the startup cost is a bit high for me right now.[/quote]No hurry, you should brew however best works for you, but a very cheap way to brew AG is with the BIAB method, which requires nothing more than a couple of nylon paint-strainer bags and a 10-gallon kettle (a $20 aluminum tamale steamer will work fine). You’ll recoup your investment within a couple of AG batches, which usually run $6-$10 cheaper than the extract versions. The next step up, as far as money, is the cooler and braid mashtun, which will run you a bit more (and you’ll need the bigger kettle if you don’t have one), but offers more versatility at the price.

Anyway, congrats on the win, and contrary to that lame anti-extract post, you should feel proud that you are able to brew a superior beer, regardless of the fermentables.

Congrats, quite an accomplishment and honor.

I certainly don’t agree with the guy on the Facebook page about flavored beers. I find fruit beers or Herb/spice/vegetable beers much more difficult to properly balance than most “standard” ales. I have tasted and I have also made some flavored beers that failed miserably. Getting one “just right” is quite an accomplishment. One of my favorite flavored beers was the draft version of coconut porter from Maui Brewing. (I tried the canned version a few days later on my Hawaiian vacation and it was not nearly as good for some reason?) So, if your version is anything like their’s it must be awesome.

Also, FWIW, I don’t think that guy was talking about making beers with malt extract vs. all grain. I read his comment to mean flavoring extracts, like say, raspberry extract, vanilla extract, or coconut in your case? Either way, when someone prefaces what they say with something to the effect of “no disrespect intended” they INTEND disrespect! Sounds like sour grapes (flavoring?) to me.

[quote=“Duxx”]Congrats, quite an accomplishment and honor.

I certainly don’t agree with the guy on the Facebook page about flavored beers. I find fruit beers or Herb/spice/vegetable beers much more difficult to properly balance than most “standard” ales. I have tasted and I have also made some flavored beers that failed miserably. Getting one “just right” is quite an accomplishment. One of my favorite flavored beers was the draft version of coconut porter from Maui Brewing. (I tried the canned version a few days later on my Hawaiian vacation and it was not nearly as good for some reason?) So, if your version is anything like their’s it must be awesome.

Also, FWIW, I don’t think that guy was talking about making beers with malt extract vs. all grain. I read his comment to mean flavoring extracts, like say, raspberry extract, vanilla extract, or coconut in your case? Either way, when someone prefaces what they say with something to the effect of “no disrespect intended” they INTEND disrespect! Sounds like sour grapes (flavoring?) to me.[/quote]

I used unsweetened coconut and toasted it in the oven, no liquid extracts here.

Another update: The brewery told me that they are going to send me home with a full keg of the beer! It’s pretty cool.

MaSheriff

Nice!

Had the awards night and got a trophy and certificate ( no medal :frowning: ). I will post some pictures later today. We will be brewing the beer in late August.

MaSheriff

Little late to the party, but :cheers: . It’s a great feeling. Where’s those pics?