First Gallon of Cranberry wine

I made my first gallon of cranberry wine a month or so ago. It is in the secondary. I have about 4 inches of a cloudy mix at the bottom of the carboy and about 6 inches of clear cranberry wine above. I racked it for the first time today. Looks like it will take 6 or 7 rackings to get it off the sludge. I will be lucky if I end up with a half gallon wine.

Is it typical to have so much cloudy residue at the bottom of a gallon of cranberry wine?

By the way I tasted a sample and it is very bitter. Is that normal?

James s

[quote=“james s”]I made my first gallon of cranberry wine a month or so ago. It is in the secondary. I have about 4 inches of a cloudy mix at the bottom of the carboy and about 6 inches of clear cranberry wine above. I racked it for the first time today. Looks like it will take 6 or 7 rackings to get it off the sludge. I will be lucky if I end up with a half gallon wine.

Is it typical to have so much cloudy residue at the bottom of a gallon of cranberry wine?

By the way I tasted a sample and it is very bitter. Is that normal?

James s[/quote]

… patience grasshopper…

I don’t mess much or mix, so I’m kind of a purist… & mostly do fruit wines.

personally I’d have waited 2-4+ months to let gravity do it’s thing. And it to mature… after that it’s still probably not ready to drink, but you’ll get a sip, starting the syphon, on the rack.

I’ve been known to do 2-4 wks in the primary, and 6-8m in the secondary before moving it. Not drinking it, just the 1st rack. Every racking can stir those little yeasts, I’ve done up to 4 before they finally die… LOL

You’ll learn as you go. good luck! JLH