First Flanders in the can!

My buddy and I had a great brewday on Saturday, ended up with just over 14 gallons into 3 carboys, each pitched one pack of Roseleare. I debated trying Jamil’s method of neutral ale yeast, then bugs, but it seemed like people weren’t getting enough acetic acid that way.

The wort had the most amazing red color I’ve ever seen. Carboys already have a big fluffy head on them, but I’m guessing its the sherry sacc yeast chewing away.

Sooooo, one year is our minimum? Or when the pellicle drops? I feel like this is my first brew ever, and I can’t wait the 3 weeks to drink it.

Congrats on taking a first step in the journey of a thousand miles.

I’ve never had a pellicle drop. I’d try a small taste at nine months and go from there, I’ve had them nice and tart that soon. It’ll be really good at 18mth to 2yr. I’d also consider adding some dregs from a good quality sour. A different dreg in each would provide a nice comparison, or leave one plain and dose the other two.

I just bought a Ducchesse and a Hansens experimental cassis lambic for a tasting. Mostly I bought them for the dregs though.

That Duchesse is a house favorite just after Rodenbach over here.

I think Duchesse is really well balanced, but no way in he11 i’m adding saccharine to my beer like they do. I’ll start getting my blend on.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]I just bought a Ducchesse and a Hansens experimental cassis lambic for a tasting. Mostly I bought them for the dregs though.[/quote]Ducchesse is pasteurized so the dregs are bottle-conditioning yeast only, no bugs.

Oh well I only need the Hansens for a new lambic I just made. I was going to offer the Duchesse dregs to a friend who wants to make a Flanders red. I can give him some dregs out of my barrel for that. Thanks for the info though.

Glad to hear that before I got my hopes up!

You may not even have a pellicle form, it is not a sure thing and is not bad if it doesnt form.
I have had some drop and not drop. SOurs you go by taste there is no time line…I have had some flanders ready in 6 or 7 months to well over a year