First fake lagering

This is my first AG batch. I’m attempting a pilsner for my wife.

I’m unable to do real lager temps but after many many videos of people reporting 2124 does okay at higher temps, I decided to try it.
OG was 1.040 or slightly lower.
I didn’t come close to my target 1.050 :frowning:
I pitched 1L starter going for a day on a stir plate.
Fermentation took off right away.

It’s been a week and I think my primary appears to be done.
Going to switch it to a secondary in the next day or two.

Since this is my own recipe I have no idea how long to let it sit in the secondary.
My basement will probably sit at about 58-60 the next few weeks. Maybe occasional dipping to 55 if it cools down.

Also, if I let it sit for 3-4 weeks do I need to add yeast during bottling?

Looking forward to your knowledgeable and conflicting answers. :slight_smile:

Assuming you fermented cool, I’d bring the beer to a slightly warmer temp for another week and let the yeast clean up diacetyl. Then you’ll probably want to lager for 8 weeks or more at the warmer temp. You could always just bottle and lager in the fridge, a sixer at a time. That’d take more like 2-4weeks.

I did not ferment cool. Emphasis on fake lagering. It is 60 there now.

I see, not only fake lagering but fake lager too. No sweat, I’d still raise the temp up closer to 70F to let it finish for a few days. Late in the ferment the higher temp won’t cause any off flavors, and it speeds the cleaning up part of the ferment.

Cool. Thanks! I’ll bring it upstairs for a few days then.

After that I’ll let sit 8 weeks at 57-60 before bottling. Will I need to add any yeast? In my head it just seems like all of the yeast would have cleared out pretty well by then and I don’t want it to be undercarbed.

You could, but usually theres enough to carbonate.

Personally I would bottle and carb up first, then lager. Part of lagering is letting the yeast drop out, and it makes more sense to carb and let that yeast drop instead of growing another little batch during the bottle conditioning.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]You could, but usually theres enough to carbonate.

Personally I would bottle and carb up first, then lager. Part of lagering is letting the yeast drop out, and it makes more sense to carb and let that yeast drop instead of growing another little batch during the bottle conditioning.[/quote]

could i bottle right after the primary is done…maybe 5 more days yet… and leave at 60 for 8 weeks?
we just don’t have room in our fridge.