First Convential All-Grain Temp question

Ok. So I’ve only done all grain via the BIAB method in the past. Today I am doing a pumpkin ale through the normal all grain means. Grain bill is 11.25 lbs of grains (plus 3 lbs of pumpkin). Recipe (from Zymurgy magazine) calls for the following:

10 min protein rest at 120 F
60 min Sach rest at 154 F
10 min mash out at 168 F

When I put all that in Beer Smith, it give me the following water temps:
Protein Rest: 129 F
Sach Rest: 200 F
Mash Out: 206 F

Does that seem correct? The protein rest seems ok, but the sach and mashout seem really high to me. I though it was normally 10-15 degrees about the target temp?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Crypto

[quote=“cryptologic”]Ok. So I’ve only done all grain via the BIAB method in the past. Today I am doing a pumpkin ale through the normal all grain means. Grain bill is 11.25 lbs of grains (plus 3 lbs of pumpkin). Recipe (from Zymurgy magazine) calls for the following:

10 min protein rest at 120 F
60 min Sach rest at 154 F
10 min mash out at 168 F

When I put all that in Beer Smith, it give me the following water temps:
Protein Rest: 129 F
Sach Rest: 200 F
Mash Out: 206 F

Does that seem correct? The protein rest seems ok, but the sach and mashout seem really high to me. I though it was normally 10-15 degrees about the target temp?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Crypto[/quote]

The temperature differential is influenced by many factors including they type & thermal properties of your equipment, what grain/water ratio you are using as well as the ambient temperature of all. Then factor in that all those brewing programs do things a little differently so don’t expect to hit your target exactly on the first try. I’d suggest starting out with a +14-15F
temperature of the strike water and see how it goes. It’s much easier to add a little cold water to bring the mash temp down than go in the other direction.

However, I do question why there is a 120F rest here at all. Assuming this is an ale and the grist is based on pale malt I wouldn’t bother with it.

Skip the 120 rest. It’s unnecessary and could be detrimental. The other temps seem fine.

If you were doing a typical single infusion a 200 degree strike temp would be wayyy too high. I think those numbers sound right if you do the step mash though but ive only done single infusions.

I pre heat my mash tun by adding 180 degree water then let it come down to strike temp on its own. The cooler will absorb alot of heat. For me I wait till the water is 12-13 degrees above where I want to mash. Its about knowing your system take note of what you do the first time and adjust from there. I use beer smith also but it took some tweeking for everything to be fine tuned. Also make sure you stir the mash until you get a consistent temp reading. Just my 2 cents but Pumpkin in the mash is a horrible idea for a first all grain batch. Ive done 26 all grain batches and only ever had problems mashing when i recently used one pound of pumpkin. Good luck

Get a mesh bag of some sort to separate the pumpkin from the grist and pull it out. I’d use your BIAB bag if I were you. It’s a mess and can/will clog up your system. It can be done though

I know that’s not what you asked about but it seems others have covered it.

I just ended up skipping the protein rest. Heated water to 165 and hit the correct temps. Mashed out with 168.

[quote=“beerme11”]
I pre heat my mash tun by adding 180 degree water then let it come down to strike temp on its own. The cooler will absorb alot of heat. For me I wait till the water is 12-13 degrees above where I want to mash.[/quote]
Next time try heating your water to a few (3-5 degrees) above your target strike temp. You’ll probably find that you spend a lot less time waiting for the temp to fall.