First cold crash

Got my freezer and temp controller set up for cold crashing…going to do it this coming weekend.

I have some questions…I have an ale that is doing a two week dry hop…is it ok to have the second week of dry hop during a week of cold crash? Does the temp need to be lowered by a few degrees a day or can I get the freezer to temp and just plop the carboys right in? Thanks!!

As long as the beer is finished fermenting then you can drop temps immediately. It won’t hurt your dry hop, and will in fact get any floating hop particles to drop out. But I’m not sure how beneficial a second week of dry hopping cold is going to be.

I agree with Loopie- Crash that baby.
When I dryhop, I usually add the hops 1 week before I plan on bottling. At day 3 or 4 I cold crash, the following day add gelatin. If it fits your schedule best to go two weeks, I think that would be fine.

How long does it usually take to drop hop particles out? I may throw it in the freezer tomorrow.

[quote=“JimRMaine”]I agree with Loopie- Crash that baby.
When I dryhop, I usually add the hops 1 week before I plan on bottling. At day 3 or 4 I cold crash, the following day add gelatin. If it fits your schedule best to go two weeks, I think that would be fine.[/quote]
When adding gelatin, does the yeast drop out to where more needs to be added to bottle carbonate?

Crashed for 3 days…added gelatin…do I let it warm up to room temp…or leave in freezer?

[quote=“bpoppp”][quote=“JimRMaine”]I agree with Loopie- Crash that baby.
When I dryhop, I usually add the hops 1 week before I plan on bottling. At day 3 or 4 I cold crash, the following day add gelatin. If it fits your schedule best to go two weeks, I think that would be fine.[/quote]
When adding gelatin, does the yeast drop out to where more needs to be added to bottle carbonate?[/quote]
No there is still plenty of yeast unless its been bulk aging for 3+ months.

Leave it in your ferm chamber until you are ready to bottle (or keg). When ready transfer it cold and bottle it. Let it warm to carb up.

Awesome…thanks!

Loopie got it right on the buttons! I do let it sit in the cold til I can get to it. I will dry hop a few days though… I don’t seem to get any more flavor/aroma from a longer time frame…. then again thats just me… I do check my gravity, and of course get a sample before I start the cold crash…. sneezles 61 :lol:

I did this very same thing this past week and bottled tonight. One thing I did differently was that I added a few grains of Safale 05 to each bottle before capping. I did this because I thought cold crashing would have messed with the yeast in my carboy. Did I make bottle bombs?

No problem. Bottle bombs are from excess fermentable sugar, not excess yeast.
Of course, you didn’t really need to add that extra yeast, but you did no harm.