First brew

And yep had a small boil over…is it ruined?

No, you’re fine. Just continue with the necessary steps.

I am relieved…so I can quit crying now

What did I tell you… DON’T OVER THINK IT! :wink:

you can use those tears as top off water!

No crying in your beer! It’s fine!

Happy Brewing to you!

:cheers:

It is definitely not ruined. I would get that into a fermenter and get another batch going so that you can practice not having a boil over.

One tip is to have a spray bottle near by to knock the foam down with as it starts coming to a boil.

spray bottle…coming soon to a kitchen near me.

ummm any thoughts on how to clean the boil over off my stove?

guessing elbow grease and an SOS pad, but curious if there are any sure fire tricks
my wife is slightly unhappy with me at the moment

but I am also happy to report my Caribou slobber is already bubbling away in the fermentor, so I can kind of ignore her disgust with me :slight_smile:

thanks again everyone!!!

Removing the pot from the heat will instantly drop the foam. Boiling at a lower temperature will also decrease the likelihood of a boilover. One more trick…Add DME before the water is boiling.

If you get a boil over on the stovetop the key is removing it to another burner and wiping that up asap! I haven’t found a really good way to get it off easily so I’m open to ideas.

while youre at it grab 2 spray bottles, one for boil overs and one for mixed sanitizer. I’m a Star San Man!

[quote=“Ekffazr”]guessing elbow grease and an SOS pad, but curious if there are any sure fire tricks
my wife is slightly unhappy with me at the moment[/quote]If you have an enameled stove top, don’t use an SOS on it or you risk removing the finish and the undying scorn of your wife. Soaking the spill will soften the caramelized sugars - if you have an indented burner that will hold warm, soapy water (or Oxiclean), fill it and leave for a while. If not, soak a scrap towel in water/cleaner mix and lay it on top of the spill for a while. Then use a sponge to work loose what you can and reapply the water/towel. Repeat.

But if your stovetop can take an SOS pad, go for it. Scotchbrite works well too.

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“Ekffazr”]guessing elbow grease and an SOS pad, but curious if there are any sure fire tricks
my wife is slightly unhappy with me at the moment[/quote]If you have an enameled stove top, don’t use an SOS on it or you risk removing the finish and the undying scorn of your wife. [/quote]

oooh good call

plan B, invest in oxy clean or similar, check on price of a new stove top :slight_smile:

Any of your commercial cleaners should help. 409/Mr Clean etc. But a tub of Oxyclean/Sun Cleaner are useful for cleaning fermenters , so some on hand is a good idea. Keep it wet for 10-20 minutes should help.

Scotchbrite green pads also help get the goo off.

Best advise was to clean it up right when it happened. After it hardens and dried, it is a mess

do what I do: take your teeth out, cross your eyes, and go PPPpppbbbbbbttttt! that stuff will peel right off.

I also learned something from my last two batches. I used to get the pot up to the boil, turn off the heat and add the malt extract, then as soon as it got back up to boil I’d start throwing the bittering hops in. One time I had a unbelievable volcanic boilover.

The last batch I made I had just gotten the unhopped wort back up to a boil, it was foaming a bit, and then my neighbor came over to talk to me and I got distracted so I didn’t get the hops put back in right away. I saw that after a couple of minutes the “extract first boil foam” dissolved back into the wort and I saw what looked like hot break! So then when I added the hops - NOTHING HAPPENED! No gigantic foaming or anything. Has anyone else seen that? That’s one of my new brewing techniques. Might work for you next time.