First brew (new question)

Hi to all

I have posted a few times about my first brew and it’s now in fermentation. I started fermentation last Thursday and dry hopped today. When I opened the tub it smelt a little like cider/ strong alcohol - the og is 1.046, Is this an issue?

Sounds fine…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Fermentation can produce some odd smells. Be patient. You are probably fine at this point.

1 Like

What temp you fermenting at?

It’s been at a pretty consistent 67-70, it doesn’t smell foul just not quite what I was expecting! Just like a cider really, but I’ve got 5 days to go plus bottle condition for 2 weeks!?

Keep in mind that fermentation is exothermic. So if your ambient temps are 70° you’re fermenting higher, easily 74°-75°. But green beer will give you weird aroma. Don’t judge a beer until it’s conditioned

Oh in addition. I’ve never met a beer that can read a calendar! You’re lucky! :wink:. Move the beer when it’s ready not based on a calendar. You’re better off being a week late than a day early.

1 Like

Thank you man, I honestly can’t say how helpful and straight up this forum is compared to some others. :v:

2 Likes

It’s a good place here and we somehow avoid trolls.
Too warm fermentation temps creates fusel alcohol which is that ‘hot’ ‘solventy’ (not really a word but think hot/chemical) smell. Not saying it’s ruined just advising you to keep those fermentation temps in check.
An easy way to equate it:
You go out and buy the finest ingredients and fruit for a pie. Then bake it at 500°. How does it turn out? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve made some Saisons where the brew closet smelled like the campfire scene in Blazing Saddles. Beer turned out fantastic!

3 Likes

Patient it will be fine. Give it time. Now it will clean it self up.

FYI, just taking the FG before bottling tomorrow, and it tastes and smells absolutely great now! so pleased. just gotta get over the final hurdle now

1 Like

Now the worst part comes… Waiting for those bottles to carbonate. But I implore you to do so. Read up on some bottling tips to assist you.

1 Like

What @loopie_beer said. Waiting is the hardest part!

2 Likes

i think Tom Petty said it too!

2 Likes