First Brew Day On The Books!

I couldn’t really say. I pretty much leave it all alone for 4 weeks; each hydrometer reading wastes beer and provides a chance for contamination.

I know that’s what I should do, and I will leave it alone from now on. Stupid new guy can’t just leave it alone. I’ll do better next time :slight_smile:

I have beer!

Fermentation stopped a 1.020. I tried everything I could to get it to ferment a little drier, but alas, nothing worked. So after about 3 weeks total fermentation time, I bottled it. Before bottling, the beer was a little sweet to the taste, so I was concerned it wouldn’t turn out very good, but after being bottled for a week or so, the sweetness is going away some. It’s pretty good actually. Hopefully it’ll be pretty great in another week or two.

I think I’m going to try Caribou Slobber again and see if the next batch will go ahead and ferment a little drier, or I may try the Nut Brown Ale. Any suggestions?

Anywho, I have a first batch under my belt, and I’m glad I did this. It’s great fun, except for the waiting. I don’t know if I’d really call it a total success, but I have drinkable beer. Hopefully I can do beter next time.

Thanks for all the help :slight_smile:
Andrew

If you want to try and dry it out sub In a 1/2 lb of table sugar for some lme or dme. Sugar is 100% fermentable and will help lower your final gravity.

I did a partial boil on this batch. I wonder if doing a full boil would help? Perhaps I had some caramelization and made some of the sugars unfermentable. Would a full boil help ensure there’s no caramelization?