First BIAB 3 gallon oatmeal cookie brown question

I feel like i hit all my targets, but used wyeast 1469 yorkshire instead of s-04 or the suggested britannica (1945). i got wayyy more crap in my fermentor than usual, maybe it was bc it was a 3 gallon batch, maybe it was the biab-but tons of trub. anyway, i pitched one packet of yeast into a 1.063 wort (only 3 gallons and the yeast was produced on 10/20 and pitched 10/30, so super fresh)…i got immediate activity within 6 hours, but the krausen held off for several days, then bam rose up nice and pillowy, but then dropped back in like 8 hours-DONE. I’ve used 1469 before and the krausen seems to stay on top forever. i took a reading this morning and i’M AT 1.022 and the sample tastes horribly yeasty. i’m starting to wonder if i overpitched, or all that trub is somehow affecting the yeasts ability to perform (premature attenuation?) anywhow, I don’t usually secondary, but i’m going to take another reading in a day or two and then get this beer off all this mess asap. anyone ever encounter an unattenuated problem fro too much trub?

What kind of time frame are we talking about? It may just need more time.
You didn’t over pitch.
What recipe did you use?

It’s probably too early. I don’t even test my gravity or taste it for at least two weeks then I wait three more days to get another gravity to see if it is done fermenting.

Give it another 4 days, test the gravity, and give it another taste.

1469 is a top cropper which is why it takes forever to drop. I use it for Innkeeper all the time. A cold crash will generally get it to settle down and clear up but sometimes I still have to rack around the floaty chunks when kegging it. I never secondary my Innkeeper and am usually drinking it inside of 2 weeks.

What was your fermenter temp?

[quote]What kind of time frame are we talking about? It may just need more time.
You didn’t over pitch.
What recipe did you use?[/quote]

I used northern brewers 3 gallon biab oatmeal cookie brown ale-i brewed it on 10/26

[quote=“TheNerdyGnome”]It’s probably too early. I don’t even test my gravity or taste it for at least two weeks then I wait three more days to get another gravity to see if it is done fermenting.

Give it another 4 days, test the gravity, and give it another taste.[/quote]

me neither, but the krausen dropped so fast and the beer cleared, I decided to take a gravity…I’ve used this yeast before (and on lower gravity beers) and the krausen hangs around forever… it’s odd.

[quote=“dannyboy58”] 1469 is a top cropper which is why it takes forever to drop. I use it for Innkeeper all the time. A cold crash will generally get it to settle down and clear up but sometimes I still have to rack around the floaty chunks when kegging it. I never secondary my Innkeeper and am usually drinking it inside of 2 weeks.

What was your fermenter temp?[/quote]

I know, I’ve experienced the same before… but this time it dropped so fast…crystal clear…left a 2
inch ring on the side of the carboy, but the krausen dropped out of sight out of nowhere…
I fermented at 65 and then raised to ambient 68-70 basement temps after 3 days.

No, Any amount of trub will not hinder/inhibit the yeasts functions whatsoever. If anything it adds lipids to the wort matrix which would aid yeast function.

I have had 1469 take anywhere from 4-8 days to complete usually. Even though a krausen dropped doesn’t mean its capput. I agree with the others give it 4-7 days before the next gravity check there is plenty of yeast in supspension still doing the task.