First beer from keg!

Well, I kegged my first beer 2 days ago and a friend of mine suggested that I set the co2 to 30 and shake it every 10 hours or so.

I have done that and today was the test. I turned the co2 down to 10, poured my first glass and threw it out - it was all foam and sanitizer. I then poured another glass and it had all foam, so I vented the keg. I noticed that the regulator was at 0 so I turned it back to 10 and poured another glass.

This glass was 1/2 beer and 1/2 foam, so does that mean that I am over carbonated? What do I do to remedy this (without lengthening the tube)?

Thanks all, it still tasted AWESOME!!! Much better than bottling.

I bet you’re a little over carbed. Vent the co2 a few more times and leave the pressure at 10. How long are your lines?

Ok, I will vent the keg a couple more times and let it sit. I do not care too much - as long as it is good by Sunday.

I just have the standard 6’ line with the party tap.

What temp is the beer at?

I have the keezer set to 38 degrees.

2 days at 30psi won’t overcarb it. I’d put my money on short beer lines. Get 10’ of line and you won’t have a foamy pour.

I leave my beer in the kegerator for 24 hours to get cold then hit if 1 day at 30 psi, 1 day at 20 psi then set it on 10 and 2 days later, I’m drinking perfectly carbed beer. However, the discussion of beer lines does make a difference so it might work differently for some than others.
Kegging beer is awesome and while I do some bottling for time to time, it’s a huge time saver for me.

[quote=“Beerlord”]I leave my beer in the kegerator for 24 hours to get cold then hit if 1 day at 30 psi, 1 day at 20 psi then set it on 10 and 2 days later, I’m drinking perfectly carbed beer. However, the discussion of beer lines does make a difference so it might work differently for some than others.
Kegging beer is awesome and while I do some bottling for time to time, it’s a huge time saver for me.[/quote]

Do you shake the keg at all during this time? Do you release the pressure at all during this time?

Nope, don’t shake mine at all. Personally, I’d only do that if I were in a rush.
When I keg my beer, I gas it at about 30 psi and vent it a few times then let it sit until there’s room in the kegerator. I do this even if I put it directly in the kegerator as well.
I think letting it chill for 24 hours really helps speed things along. Mine is set for 39 degrees.

cmon man, you’ve gotta post a pic of that pretty brew!

Ok, here it is - the first beer from the keg, the foam is better today.

The head is down to about 1 inch in about 2 minutes.

After pouring 6-12 more beers the carbonation should even out and the pours should be good.

You could take it off the gas and let the pressure in the keg push the beer. Then CO2 will come out of solution to fill the head space. After a day or 2 of this the beer should be good.

My experience has shown otherwise, especially if shaking.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]After pouring 6-12 more beers the carbonation should even out and the pours should be good.

You could take it off the gas and let the pressure in the keg push the beer. Then CO2 will come out of solution to fill the head space. After a day or 2 of this the beer should be good.[/quote]

So are you saying that I should turn off the gas and leave it off for 2 days?

[quote=“gusrotteyman”][quote=“Nighthawk”]After pouring 6-12 more beers the carbonation should even out and the pours should be good.

You could take it off the gas and let the pressure in the keg push the beer. Then CO2 will come out of solution to fill the head space. After a day or 2 of this the beer should be good.[/quote]

So are you saying that I should turn off the gas and leave it off for 2 days?[/quote]

If you take it off the gas (or turn it off) AND pour some beers, CO2 will come out of solution. Just like opening a 2l bottle of soda. You can pour a glass and screw the cap on. If you only pour 1-2 glass a day, eventually the soda will be flat in a couple of days.

It will be wait and see process. When you think the beer is getting flatter, turn the gas back on.

This is why I carb at serving pressures. It gives me consistently carbed beer, and allowing it to carb over a period of 2-3 weeks also gives the beer time to mature and lager a bit.

That first pull from the keg is kind of a magical feeling… better get brewing a few more batches, seems like those kegs empty out faster than bottles!