First Batch

I brewed my first batch of Chinook IPA (5 gallons) 8 days ago and primary fermentation appears to winding down. I had good bubbles and a nice cap of foam for the first several days. After brew day I realized I may have pitched the yeast before the wort had cooled sufficiently. I followed the recipe to the letter except for one thing. After the boil I put the kettle in an ice bath until it cooled to 100 degrees. I put 2 gallons of cold water in the car boy before adding the wort. I topped it off with more water to bring it up to five gallons and then aerated. The recipe calls for pitching the yeast at 78 degrees or cooler. I missed the 78 degrees part. It may have been 78 or lower when I pitched, but I’m not sure. The water that was added to the wort was very cold but I’m not sure it was cold enough to bring it to less than 78. How big of a deal is this? I’ve been freaking out for the past week thinking I may have screwed this up.

It obviously fermented so relax. It will be good beer and you will enjoy it! :cheers:

Agreed. If you pitched too warm and killed the yeast, you wouldn’t have had a good fermentation.
Take a couple of SGs, then when they’re stable, let it sit for another week or so.