Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

First Batch

I got the Double Barrel Porter small batch kit and saw in the reviews that it suggests a two gallon fermenter because of the intense fermentation process. Going to to do this saturday, was wondering if any on here had any insight on if the gallon jug will work or do i need to use a two gallon.

It will work but will foam over. Use a blowoff hose, not an airlock.

I did the 1 gal. as well. I used a blowoff hose and still lost quite a bit- even with ambient temp. in the low 60’s.

Go with a 2 gal. fermenter- you’ll be glad you did. If you can’t find one, it’s ok to use a 6 gal. bucket-all the extra headspace won’t hurt; the CO2 produced is heavier than air and will lay on top like a blanket.

I racked mine to the secondary for a week and I’ll be bottling this on Sat. Based on most of the reviews, I’ll leave it in bottles for 2-3 months before I even try it (though it’ll be tough to do!).

-Vaughn
:cheers:

Yep, it will still foam over with a blowoff hose, but at least it has somewhere to go. If a larger vessel is an option, by all means do it.

Might be cheaper to get a second 1gallon jug and do 1/2 gallon in each. Pitch yeast in first gallon with full wort, shake to mix well and aerate, and then pour half into second (sanitized ) gallon jug.

cheers.

I plan on doing this in the morning. If I get another fermenter, do I follow instructions as is and then once all in one fermenter, just pour the other half in the other gallon fermenter?

I could do the blow off hose too. Just trying to figure what is the easiest.

Thanks.

The supermarket where I get most of my groceries has two gallon food grade buckets for a real good price. If I were going to do a one gallon batch I’d get one.

[quote]I plan on doing this in the morning. If I get another fermenter, do I follow instructions as is and then once all in one fermenter, just pour the other half in the other gallon fermenter?

I could do the blow off hose too. Just trying to figure what is the easiest.
[/quote]

I can almost guarantee you will lose some of your batch even with the blowoff hose. The 1 gal. fermenter has VERY little headspace = no where for the krausen (foam) to go. This one’s a very vigorous fermentation. Starting off with less than a gallon (evaporation loss during the boil), it’s best to just get a bigger fermenter- IME.

If you just want to split the batch into two fermenters (1 gallon), just make your wort, cool it, aerate it well, and then split the batch into both vessels. Split the yeast in half (1/4 pkg. of dry yeast per fermenter, for a total of 1/2 pkg.), assuming you use the dry yeast.

If you live near a local home brew shop, the easiest thing would be to buy a larger fermenter (2, 3, or 5 gallon carboy or a 6 gallon bucket). You’ll save time/effort on brew day as well as when it comes time to rack to the secondary.

I can probably get a 2 gallon one in the morning before i do. Extra space wont hurt the process?

No it won’t hurt anything and will save you from cleaning up a mess.

Nope- the heavier CO2 produced by the yeast will form a “blanket” on top of the wort as it ferments that will protect it from the lighter air/oxygen. Keep it in the primary 10-14 days and then rack it to the secondary (with oak cubes/bourbon).

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com