First batch screw up?

I hope i didn’t mess up my 1st batch. I watched the video over and over so many times my wife was getting sick of it. All so did the same with the written instructions. Here is my problem I saw nothing or read nothing about boiling the water that you add and to top it off top it off with. am i screwed ??

I just asked the same question. I added tap water to top off my carboy. At the very least I know that my fermentation happened and I do not see anything wrong with the batch.

Someone else said I should be ok.

Thanks. I hope your wright. I hope someone with great knowledge sees my post. So i know what’s going on.

my directions said to add 2 gals. of cold water before the wort is added. and then top it off to make it 5 gals. this is for caribou slobber brown.

I always bought bottled water for brewing. I doubt it is any more sanitized than tap water. You don’t need to boil it. You should be fine!

You should be fine. I am on my 9th batch and I haven’t had a batch so south. I follow the instructions provided too. I usually sterilize the container that I am transferring water to the carboy in.

It will probably be fine. If you used tap water, if it is chlorinated, you could potentially end up with chlorophenol in the finished beer, which tastes like medicine or band-aids. So if you get that flavor, then you’ll know why and it’s an easy fix. But more than likely, your batch will turn out just fine.

You will be fine if you can drink the water out of the tap. I have an IC that i use to cool my batches so after I get my wort chilled and put in to the carboy i use my fermometer to see how much off it is from fermetation temp and then use a sanitized pitcher to add hot or cold tap water to adjust and pitch my yeast. 9 batches and no problems. RDWHAHB Cheers and welcome

I wouldn’t do it with City water unless you have a Well.

t
Thanks for all the posts. I have great well water. I also sanitized the container i used to top of the water . Thanks for all the help.

You are fine dude, that is how I did it before full boils.

I use tap or bottled to top of the carboy and have produced delicious beer.

I like to get two, 2.5 gal carboys of spring water from the grocery store for my extract brews. One goes in the boil pot, the other in the carboy. My local tap water tastes like pond water with chlorine added and fails the EPA turbidity requirements, horrible stuff.

Quite the opposite. Well water is more apt to contain contaminants that will harm the beer. City water is treated and is much safer as-is.

All my extract batches used about half tap water (filtered through the fridge) and I never had an infected batch.

Quite the opposite. Well water is more apt to contain contaminants that will harm the beer. City water is treated and is much safer as-is.

All my extract batches used about half tap water (filtered through the fridge) and I never had an infected batch.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.

I use RO water from the tap. It hasn’t failed me yet.

All my extract batches used about half tap water (filtered through the fridge) and I never had an infected batch.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking.[/quote]
Really I wouldnt want to use Clorinated/treated water for my brewing around here city water taste like a Pool. Yuck. My tap water on the other hand taste like it came from a mountian spring.

I just did the same with my first batch of Caribou Slobber. I hope it all turns out well. After 3 days it has stopped activity though so thats whats got me worried. Good luck bro!